power windows roll up incrementally

On a 1995 Camaro Z28, let's say the windows are rolled down all the way.

If I press the "up" button, the window will go up about halfway, then it stops. If I press the up button again (immediately), the window won't move. *But*, if I wait about 20-30 seconds, and press the up button, the window will move up about one inch.

I have to continue this "wait 20-30 seconds, press the up button to move the window up another inch, and so on", until the window eventually goes up all the way.

It's as if I'm waiting on a capacitor to fill up; press the up button and the power is released to the window motor, then the capacitor has to be recharged. I'm sure this is not happening, but it sure acts like it :)

Any ideas? Window motor going out? Both windows exhibit this odd behavior. Both windows roll down as you would expect, in one continuous motion.

Reply to
calder.cay

Failing motor. Extremely common on these cars. Bearings in the motor or bearings/gears in the gearhead (permanently attached to these motors) begin failing and binding, causing the motor to overheat, and temporarily tripping the internal breaker. After it cools a bit, it resets.

If you replace it, be sure to choose a better quality motor with a lifetime warranty. The camaro application is almost marginal for an electric motor because of the size and weight of the glass and hardware, and the tight space in which the motor must live. If you replace it yourself, follow the instructions very carefully. I've had to replace both passenger and driver motors in my '96 z28, and it's not hard, but you do need to be careful and follow the instructions to the letter (otherwise, it could be dangerous).

Good luck, Josh

Reply to
Josh

On Oct 31, 10:10 pm, Josh wrote: [snipped]

bearings/gears in the gearhead (permanently attached to these motors) begin failing and binding, causing the motor to overheat, and temporarily tripping the internal breaker. After it cools a bit, it resets.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to remove the panel tonight and give it a look-see - I'll lube the channels and any other moving parts just to see what happens. One thing I failed to mention - she's got ~150+K miles, so it wouldn't surprise me if the window motor is going south.

Checking Rockauto, I show motors by: ACI, Dorman, Cardone Select (not reman), ACDelco, without regulators ... ACDelco w/regulator. My local Oreilly carries Dorman and Cardone. I also have a local [independent] ACDelco parts house.

Reply to
calder.cay

bearings/gears in the gearhead (permanently attached to these motors) begin failing and binding, causing the motor to overheat, and temporarily tripping the internal breaker. After it cools a bit, it resets.

Josh is right. You'll find the motor is bad. The Delco unit from the dealer or aftermarket Delco/Delphi supplier will probably be made in Mexico or somewhere similar, but I think the alternatives you've mentioned will be the same quality or worse. The best deal overall will probably be the Delco part from an independent parts house or Rock Auto.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish