BEST RTV Sealant for sealing up oil leak between head/timing cover?

Need recommendations for a really good RTV sealant for sealing up oil leak.

I've got a Nissan 4cyl OHC with the front timing cover 'sandwiched' between the head and the oil pan. It's got a nasty little leak right at the top just about where the the cam sprocket likely slings the oil. I REALLY don't want to take this thing off to fix that darn leak.

I know exactly where the leak is, can access it from the outside and likely can get some degree of access from inside (w/ valve cover off): Idea is to clean as thoroughly as I can and squirt/dab/whatever some really good sealant in either side of where the timing cover mates to the head and let it set, cure and hopefully solve the problem. Doesn't have to look pretty just, needs to work and save me the hassle of taking the cover off and possibly pulling the head or lifting the engine enough to get the oil pan off.

I've had good luck with the gray 'import' RTV. Any others that might be better...? Particular brands? Types? Other types of sealants besides RTV for this?

BTW both the timing cover and the head are aluminum.

Appreciate a recommendation for a the best RTV type/brand that is up for the task and will last.

thanks

Reply to
loadhawg

I have had good luck with PERMATEX High Temp rtv. I clean the area really well with rubbing alcohol and a clean rag first.

luck

Reply to
gsxr711

========= Toyota makes a FIPG (form in place gasket) material that is excellent

- specified as oil pan sealant and also for spots on the valve covers near the cams and it won't harm oxygen sensors. Part number should be 00295-00103. While it is designed to be installed between surfaces as a gasket forming material, I've found it sealed a pesky leak in the top of the plastic coolant recovery tank near the mounting bracket where other materials did not last. Good adhesion forming a tough flexible oil resistant seal.

Reply to
Daniel

Permatex "The Right Stuff."

Reply to
Steve

On this we agree. Gob daubing is not good practice.

The RTVs are great compounds, and used properly can solve a myriad of problems, but not as gob stoppers.

Reply to
<HLS

Although it is not the correct use of RTV, it will not hurt anything to try. The surface needs to be very clean and should be roughened up for better adhesion. Make sure that you let it get a full cure before starting the engine. I'd use the high temp permatex. You should check the crank case ventilation system to be sure that it is not pressurizing the engine causing the leak.

I read once that the guy drew a vacuum on his crank case and then used a super glue type product at the leaks with good results. The vacuum pulled the glue into the gap that was causing the leak.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

This is a pickup? If its NOT 4x4 pulling the pan is a breeze. You do NOT need to pull the head to remove and reinstall the timing cover.

Don

Donald Lewis