Blower works only on high

My wife has a 1996 Plymouth Voyager. She advised me that the blower for the defrost, heating and cooling only works on the high setting. I found that when the blower control switch is turned on it does not go on until it is set to the high position. Removing the switch control unit is a simple thing, but upon check with the Chrysler-Plymouth parts department, a new switch control unit will cost $375. The problem is that the switch control unit contols not only the blower but the vent adjustments, the rear window and front window wiper controls. I don't want to put this money out only to find that I may have had a faulty blower. Can anyone advise as to how to determine if the blower control switch is bad or if the blower unit itself is bad. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill W

It is more likely the resistor block if they still use them. Get yourself a cheap digital voltage meter and a factory service manual to isolate which piece is bad.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

You are describing the effects of a blown resistor pack. It will be in the heater box's airflow someplace usually by the passenger feet I think.

It is not really expensive, but when it goes it can mean the heater motor is starting to draw too many amps so I recommend you check the wires for heat once you have replaced it. Some actually get bad or corroded connections right on the resistor pack which cause heat and blows things.

If the wires run cool, then no issues.

Mike

Bill W wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The problem isn't in your switch, as I thought the same on a 95 geo tracker.....I also own a 97 dodge caravan which in the manual for the blower motor resistor block says it is located at the back of the engine compartment on the passenger side of the vehicle under the wiper module. Be careful when removing it as it may be hot....it also says to remove it you need to: insert a flat blade pry tool (i think they mean a screwdriver...lol) on the side of the resistor block and push inward. The guide lines are shown on the right hand edge of the resistor block to help guide the blade position.....This will release the clips on the side of the resistor block.... then you can pull it out.... I replaced the one in the tracker... it cost me 28 bucks.... and took me

3 minutes, but that one was screwed down, this one seems to be clipped in place, so figture an extra 2 minutes.... The resistor block will have something plugged into it, so look for that....

Good Luck..

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

Ive replace these a couple of times on my 1997 van, and it is almost certainly the resistor pack, not the blower switch, just as Mike Romain has said. I paid $20 for the last one I bought.

You can, if you want, monitor the amperage on the blower when on high speed. It should be 11-17 amps. If over 17, or if it is creeping, then the blower motor must be replaced or you will blow the new resistor pack in time.

The blower motor was $33 at Chrysler, and about $58 aftermarket.

Reply to
<HLS

Thanks for the help. The only thing I had to reference was a Haynes Manual and the information provided was greatly appreciated. A $20 to $30 part is a lot easier on the wallet than a $375 part that would have been totally unneeded. I will give it a shot tomorrow. I shouldn't have any problem based on the information that was provided.

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill W

No problem Bill......I remember having an 89 Celica that had the same problem, and back then I thought it was in the control panel.....ut uh..... lol.... so when the tracker had this problem, I knew right away what it was.....and saved myself a little money.... well alot really....

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear