brake line woes

I've done brake lines before, but not many, and not in a long time. I have one particular in-line coupling that I can't get to stop leaking. Other joints appear to be OK, though they could yet surprise me.

I've re-done this one several times. Currently, I have new line (with manufactured flare) going into the coupling. AFAICT, it's properly aligned - I could screw the nut in with my fingers. I started off with only moderate torque, and then tightened further as it kept leaking.

BTW: why does brake line come with two different nuts (long and short)?

Thanks, G

Reply to
George

Sounds like a bad flare or a defective seat in the coupler. Could also be a chunk of crud in there.

Depends on the application. On some vehicles you need the longer nuts to thread into a deep fitting. On others it is to allow you to get to the hex due to obstructions.

Reply to
Steve W.

We usually just loosen-tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen-tighten 5 or 6 times, allowing the two parts of the fitting to "smoosh" closer to the same shape. Kinda the same idea as "lapping" valves. Works with copper and aluminum washered fittings too. Without exerting any extra force, you should notice the wrenches turn a little more each time, at least for the first few cycles.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Universal brake lines.

You can always purchase a short end, or long end for that matter and just flare it onto the line.

Reply to
CEG

I suppose so - it has to be something. I guess I was hoping for some kind of magic, "all you've got to do is ..." In the end, I just applied a little more torque than I was comfortable with, and the leaking appears to be stopped. At least for now.

George