Re: Where to buy panel fasteners?

The plastic splash panels beneath my 93 Sentra are missing several

> fasteners. They're hex-head Phillips screws (#6 metric bolts, really) > with washers. Checking around, it looks like the dealership is the only > place to get them, for $1.19 each. Can't locate them via Google so far. > > My questions are: > > What's the correct name for them (to do a proper search), and > Who else would have them cheaper? > > Thanks, > Jm > >

Well there are a LOT of places IF you don't mind them being an exact match. Lowes, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone. All of them have metric fasteners on the shelf and for a LOT less than 1.19 each!

Reply to
Steve W.

metric stuff is hit or miss around me, but you can probably get a lifetime supply at McMaster-Carr for about $10ish. Likely in stainless steel, which is always nice. (use anti-seize on stainless though)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Heh.. Yes, besides the dealer, I've already tried Home Depot, NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, O'Reilly Automotive, Ace Hardware, and an independent place that manages to always have what you're looking for. Damn! I didn't realize how many places I've looked until putting it down just now!

I also didn't realize how expensive they can be. Since posting, I've gotten educated with the OL search. What I need is about a dozen *aHEM* ... "M6 Hex Head Body Bolts, about 1.0 X 20mm with loose washer." About $20 for 50 of them. They're sold by the sackful. (and to think the mechanics just sweep em up and throw them in the trash.)

Jm

Reply to
DemoDisk

stainless

Thanks for McMaster ref, nate. Their inventory's HUGE, a boy's dream come true. ; ) See my answer to Steve for more about the fastener. Maybe I should just walk into a body shop and ask for some....

I like the idea of SS, but why the antiseize compound? Reaction with the steel of the car?

Jm

Reply to
DemoDisk

breakers yard.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Well, if you are doing a restore on the car, the OEM screws would be the way to go. Otherwise, any screw of the same size, thread, and length with separate washers would do.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks; that's one place I haven't tried yet.

Reply to
DemoDisk

Nope, I dont think so. Stainless steel threads are known for spalling.

Reply to
hls

Dont the Dorman cabinets in most large FLAPS have just about anything one would need?

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news:Lr-dnU-KGNVaB- HXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Nickel-based anti-seize should be used with stainless fasteners. Anything else (copper, aluminum, etc.) will be much less effective in preventing galling.

Do not use nickel anti-seizes with anything other than stainless fasteners.

-- Tegger

Reply to
Tegger