Upgrade potential of a 1988 Corsica?

I have a 1988 Corsica with the 2.8L V6, and I was wondering wether I could drop any larger an engine (even just a larger V6) into the car and still retain most of the the current parts, or what I could do to this engine to make it have more power mechanically. Thank you for any help.

Reply to
thescaryone

IIRC, GM makes a complete engine in the form of like a 3.2 v6; it's supposed (according to them--GM) to be a direct replacement & simply bolts right in the place of the 2.8 in the under-powered Blazers and pickups. I'd check with them & see if they have a similar replacement for the 2.8 in your Corsica. I believe the Corsica has a different fuel system from the truck version; but the same 3.2 may accept your injection system & thus be a drop-in for your 2.8!. HTH & good luck, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I just looked up that engine, GM-PN12363230. It's a 3.4 & IS a direct replacement for the truck's 2.8, which was designed for rear-wheel drive--not for fwd like your Corsica. Sorry; would have made a screamer of your Corsica-----as compared to other stock 2.8 Corsicas. sPN 12363230

Reply to
sdlomi2

Sallright. I sent them an email asking if it was physically possible anyway.

Reply to
thescaryone

The 2.8 L engine was replaced by the 3.1 L engine in later Corsicas and Berettas.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Although the 3.4l V6 crate engine was designed to replace the 82-84 S10's 2.8l(RWD), the Fiero people have been using this engine in their cars for years (FWD in the rear!). The only thing needed is to drill and tap the starter motor holes on the left side of the engine. See Rodney Dickman's Fiero parts ...

Click on the Engine tab and then the 3.4 V6 Engine Swap Parts link. Two things that MUST be noted ... 1. using the crate engine in ANYTHING other that what it was designed for (82-84? S10 carb engine) will void the warranty. 2. This engine has the cast iron heads so if your Corsica has cast iron heads, this engine will fit.

Cheaper choice would be the 3.4l V6 out of a 1993-95 Camaro/Firebird. Again, it would need the starter holes drilled and tapped but all the Corsica's intake (assuming cast iron heads!) would bolt on so it would still look like the Corsica's 2.8 but with more power (~20-30hp more stock).

Another choice would be

... Hey they put V8s in Fieros and the transaxle in the Corsica is basically the same as the Fiero ...

Also, the 3800 supercharged V6 will also bolt to your transaxle! Along with the 4.xl V8 out of a Cadillac!

LOTS of possibilities ... just how much $$ and time you want to spend!

HTHs.

Paul

sdlomi2 wrote:

Reply to