Broken manifold bolt.

Need some major help here. I replaced the cylinder heads on my 95 Ford Aerostar. My problem is when I went about torquing the fasteners to he intake manifold.. one of them broke off in the left head . its the one thats in the rear outside.. I am not sure what to do about this.. Will leaving one out cause a major intake Leak? for some reason my torque wrench didn't click like it was supposed to and thus lead to the broken bolt .. and yes I did do it according to sequence. this is a 3.0 engine.

Reply to
Redneck Cowboy

Where did break? If it broke flush with the manifold, take the manifold off and grab the remains with pliers or locking pliers and remove it. Buy a new bolt, you're good to go.

If it is broken flush with the head, since it broke putting it back in, with the manifold off you should be able to get the remains out. There won't be any torque on it so you should be able to turn it using a screw driver or whatever you can push along a edge or divet or whatever. A dremel to make a slot in it and then a screw driver can work too.

It's when bolts break on the way out that it's a disaster. On the way in usually works out ok because the threads are binding because of corrosion etc... (self tapping screws are another story... )

Reply to
Brent P

If they are aluminum heads, USE ANTI-SEIZE. If one bolt broke simply torquing it to spec you probably should replace them all.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
mr.som ting wong

Look on the web for, CJ3B Page Nuts and Bolts

You might find something there that might help you.Those old Jeeps sometimes have broken nuts and bolts and studs too.I own an old worn out old 1948 Willys Jeep.It was (and still is 100 percent completely worn out) worn out when I bought it for $300.00 a few years ago.I am too fat to get behind the steering wheel anyway. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Sell it to me then, I just barely remember my grandpa's old flat-fender, and it's the last one I've been in.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks to all that replied I gave it a rest yesterday and got back into it this morning , I used a hammer and flat head screwdriver to get it moving and it did and I was able to take it the rest of the way out with my fingers I need to tap those holes though as you can tell they are a bit dirty .. also I like that advice about welding a nut to the broken part . I will tuck that away in my treasure chest of knowledge for sure Thanks again.

Reply to
Redneck Cowboy

When I was in Vietnam in 1964, one night, I ''borrowed'' a Jeep to go from Tan Son Nhut

to go to a bar in down town Saigon.I guess I thought I was trying to impress my Vietnamese girlfriend whom worked at that bar across the street from the U.S.O.I used to tote sandwiches and Shasta (it hasta be Shasta) soda pop to her.All she ever did was hold hands with me.Her parents in Rach Ghia were killed in that Vietnam Conflict. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin