Broken bolt

Just got done changing the water pump in my '93 Explorer Sport. One of the bolt heads (of the 12) broke off, leaving the rest of the bolt sticking out of the engine block. The one that broke is located in the center of the bottom side. We used a good bit of sealant on both pieces before putting it together with the gasket, of course. Haven't had a chance to check for how much it is leaking, since it's dark out. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what my chances are that it won't be a major leak. Only reason I think it may not be bad is because there are 12 bolts holding the pump together, instead of the 4-6 for GM vehicles, for example.

Also, any other options if it is a bad leak, other than taking it somewhere and getting the remainder of the bolt drilled out and possibly retapped if necessary? My father in law suggested stop leak, which I am hesitant to use. I don't plan on keeping the vehicle for more than roughly another year. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Jarrod

Reply to
Jarrod Smith

While replacing the water pump on my '92 one of the screws broke. I drilled a hole in it and used a screw extractor (EZ Out etc). It was not very difficult to drill or extract. I bought a set of extractors for just a few bucks. It think the harderst part is that you'll have to remove the radiator again ;-) BTW somewhere on the car (front mud deflector?) I found a replacement screw that fit that was not vital.

Reply to
Ulysses

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool that snaps off in bolt holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit.

Gawd, I hate them.

Reply to
Beryl

Yea, I've had that happen too.

Reply to
Ulysses

Just a quick update, for anyone interested. I have been keeping an eye on the coolant level for the past week. After adding approximately 1/2 gallon of coolant the following day, it appears that the water pump is not leaking. I topped the reservoir off to the cold full line 2 days ago, and the vehicle has not used any coolant since then. I am quite relieved, because I wasn't looking forward to finding a local shop to get the bolt drilled out and retapped, if necessary. I will be keeing an eye on the coolant level for the next couple of weeks, just to make sure.

Jarrod

Reply to
Jarrod Smith