Over torque / Under torque

Hi all,

I have two torque wrenches, one which has a much higher increment range than the other. When I first torqued my Harmonic Balancer down to 120 pounds I used the lower increment wrench. Then I loosened it up to do something else and when I torqued it down again I used the higher increment wrench. When I used the higher increment wrench it seemed like it took a lot more force to reach 120 pounds. In fact, I don't believe I actually made it to 120. When I did it with the lower increment wrench I did get it to 120 with ease.

I'm afraid I have over torqued the Harmonic Balancer Bolt (to the crank). My question is what are the ramifications of over torquing a bolt or under torquing a bolt. I'm guessing it's better to under torque than over torque.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Hey, you're right. One is in Inch Pounds and the other is in Foot Pounds.

When do you use the Inch Pounds wrench?

I believe I used the Foot Pounds wrench for all my torquing. This includes the Intake/Exhaust Manifold, The valve bridge, and the Harmonic Balancer.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Lucky guess eh? :) Well, an inch-lbs. torque wrench is just used for much smaller hardware that can't take a lot of torque yet they must be tightened evenly or precisely. Though this may seem like a no-brainer, 144 inch-lbs =

12 ft-lbs... and 12 inch-lbs = 1 ft-lb. Just so no one thinks there is anything tricky about it. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I don't even own an inch-lbs. torque wrench, both my 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches are both calibrated in ft-lbs. I have worked on nothing in a Jeep that needs to be tightened in inch-lbs. increments.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
reconair

Only the valve cover bolts...

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Will Honea

I use my finely honed sense of what a "good tightness" is for valve cover bolts. A 1/4" drive makes that task an easy one.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

true, can't see anyone stripping that, and the torque wrench wouldn't go up high enough.

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > Dave Milne, Scotland : > '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara : >

: >

: : : -- : Will Honea

Reply to
Dave Milne