Buy new car or certified used car

Hi all:

I wonder whether to buy a new car or buy a certified used car. which choice is more sound and economic?

Thanks,

Rick

Reply to
gouqizi.lvcha

If you have more money than you can spend, then buy the new one.

Reply to
« Paul »

Used is definitely the way to go, but have a PPI done by a mechanic you trust; I've heard of lemons slipping through even some "certified used" programs. But buy new only if what you want is unavailable used; the highest depreciation is in the very earliest period of ownership.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hi, Nate:

Thanks. Will lemons slipping through into NEW car? If I got a lemon, what can I do?

Rick

Reply to
gouqizi.lvcha

I wouldn't ask your type of "questions", you ask something people research by themselves, Newsgroups fo runique/personal advise and experience sharing and to help others while gettin ginfo form more experienced people, and your question is like: Where to buy watermelons and do they cause cancer?

Reply to
Mark Levitski

Hi, Mark:

I don't understand your logic. Evidently , you can research every question yourself. If you DONOT WANT TO give help, just ignore my post. Do you think any linking to your analogy "Where to buy watermelons and do they cause cancer?"

Rick

Reply to
gouqizi.lvcha

Economics says buy used. You can save even more by buying from a private private party, assuming you do a good inspection of the car, than from a dealer.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

There are a lot of people on this newsgroup with a strong background in every phase of the auto industry, and this is probably one of the best places to ask such a question.

Ref your question on 'lemons', definitely yes, you can occasionally get a lemon even in a new car. I believe it is less likely now than a few years ago, but it still can happen. There are lemon laws in effect but you may have to be forceful to ever get recompensation on a lemon case.

You can use a service like Carfax to check cursory histories on used cars. Doesn't cost much, and might be wise to do.

You can often get good buys in 'program' cars. These are cars which have been leased under corporate programs, are usually well maintained and in good shape. You can often inherit a fair warranty with them, and even purchase extended warranty if you wish (extended warranties much be studied carefully. Some are probably not worth buying.)

As you know, in buying a new car, you lose an awful lot of money as soon as you drive the car off the dealers lot.

Reply to
<HLS

Sounds like the annual Lemon-Aid car buyer's guide is the reference for you. Might find a copy, and back copiues, at the public library.

Buying second hand from someone you know is usually best. Lemon-Aid recommends buying from member of the family if possible.

Otherwise only buy privately if you can save 20% off the dealer's used car price.

I bought my last two cars new but shopped for them at the public library before approaching any dealerships. I think the way to save money is to buy the car which is most practical and economical for your use and avoid unreliable models as reported in car buyer's guides. If you buy a relaible model you'll spend less time dealing with repair shops, and that alone should save you money in the long run. If you approach buying a car the same way you'd buy a washing machine, ie dispassionately, it helps economically.

I just finished a report on saving money on vehicles for the City of Ottawa. It's on my website at

and includes a vehicle cost comparison spreadsheet which may be of interest.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

It depends.

Used private party is likely to be cheaper than used at a dealer, since dealers have a lot of overhead. On types of cars with good resale value, the price of used at the dealer might not be much less than new. Cars with poor resale value are often more attractive as used cars, though.

Whether the discount in each case is worth the added risk of problems caused by the previous owner is something you have to decide.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee