85 Caprice : Warped Brake Rotor ?

Hi,

I got 2 new front tires at Sears a few weeks ago. The first 2 or 3 days everything was fine, but then I started noticing a pulsing on braking. I checked the lug nuts (the mech at Sears used an air wrench) and 2 of them, right next to each other were on real tight, on the right side. I had to jump on the lug wrench to get them loose. My theory is that the overtorqing by the Sears idiot caused the rotor to warp, but only after a couple days of it getting hot enough by driving, to warp it. Is it possible to warp a rotor by overtorqing it, on a big setup like the Caprice : big wheels, big rotors? Or could the pulsing be something else? It's a one-pulse-per-revolution frequency. Also, how hard to replace the rotor? I think I'd rather do it myself than spend my time and energy fighting with the sleazebag manager at Sears again (another story in itself).

Thanks

Reply to
TheHorror

The tightening procedure performed on you car very likely resulted in the wobble you now have.

I have known people who said that they were able to loosen the nuts all the way round, be sure the wheel is properly mounted, and retorque, and sometimes, they say, the wobble may disappear.

If you have tools and medium mechanical ability you can remove a rotor and either have it trued or replace it with a new one.

Reply to
<HLS

Yep.. The overtightening got you. Happens quite often unfortunatley.

I don't recall if you can replace just the rotor on your car or if you have to replace the rotor/hub assembly. Just rotors is dang easy while replacing the hub assembly is not quite as easy as you have bearings to deal with as well. If you haven't greased new bearings before I would get someone to help you the first time if possible. It isn't really hard to but an exprienced hand sure makes it easier!

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I think pulsing can be caused by tires. Were the tires the cheapest ones? What is the tire pressure? If retorqueing doesn't help, try changing (especially increasing) the tire pressure.

Check your other front-end parts (tie-rod ends, etc.) to see that they aren't falling apart.

Removing and replacing the rotor is easy. Find online instructions for brake pad replacement.

Reply to
Matt

It takes about ten minutes longer than changing a tire. You will need a large (3/8" ?) allen wrench to remove the caliper bolts. You can buy it separately for $5. After removing the caliper, you just lift the rotor off the hub studs.

Reply to
Matt

Correct. (more or less)

Incorrect. This is a RWD vehicle, the rotor and hub are one unit. The grease cap needs to be removed, the cotter pin removed, the spindle nut removed, the thrust washer removed, the outer wheel bearing removed, then the hub will slide off the spindle. Remove the inner grease seal, remove the inner wheel bearing, repack the bearings, install inner bearing, install new grease seal, install rotor/hub on spindle, install outer bearing, install thrust washer, install spindle nut and adjust to specs, install new cotter pin and fold, install grease cap.

Reply to
aarcuda69062