bye bye rotary engine...

Those rotaries were low tech cool... castor oil flying everywhere... no throttle, only a kill switch... They would turn 'with' the motor fiercely, the other way not so much. Real men flew those things. Ben
ben91932 wrote:

Impressive albeit a bit weird:
http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/rotary-theory.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBAukXPD-0

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Actually, my ex got to fly a 1916 Bleriot once. Although, she is pretty macho. She did puke afterward from the stench of burned castor oil, though. --scott

Inhaling those castor oil fumes was a Good laxative for those Airplane Pilots. cuhulin
J R wrote:

I raced a couple Sachs Wankel powered Arctic Cats back in the day. Had a few 303s and had a couple 606s as well. If you could get the apex seals to hold up and could keep the plugs clean they ran pretty good. But man did they STINK....
--
Steve W.

There were some Wankel engine lawn mowers too.That's what I want.Or maybe not. cuhulin
My snail mail November 2011 Popular Mechanics magazine has an article about the EcoMotors OPOC engine. http://www.popularmechanics.com cuhulin

I had almost exactly that happen once. The backfire split the muffler along the roll-seam, opening a big hole in the middle.

Rotaries were powerful, but you paid for that power!

My RX-4 had no trouble starting in winter, and I live in Canada.
--
Tegger

On 10/10/2011 4:37 AM, Bill Vanek wrote:

The worst thing one could do would be to blip the throttle right before shutting the engine off. That would cause a backfire of dramatic proportions. In my case, once was enough to ensure that it didn't happen again.
Light backfiring was perfectly normal when the engine was decelerated. I de-linked the servo on the carb which kept the trottle open during rapid deceleration so I tended to get that a lot. A little backfiring when downshifting is a happy sound to my ears.
Explaining that a little backfiring is normal to a guy not familiar with the rotary was met with a skeptical look. That's the breaks.

That's exactly what I had done when my muffler split! The bang sounded like a gunshot.

Oh, yeah. That pop-pop-pop-POP-pop-pop-POP-pop-pop-pop...
Happened during decel, downshifting, and going downhill.
--
Tegger

On 10/10/2011 3:20 PM, Tegger wrote:

Ha ha, I was young and kinda stupid back in those days.
http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?q=Vintage+car+has+a+rotary+engine cuhulin