bye bye rotary engine...

cuhulin

Reply to
J R

Those rotaries were low tech cool... castor oil flying everywhere... no throttle, only a kill switch... They would turn 'with' the motor fiercely, the other way not so much. Real men flew those things. Ben

Reply to
ben91932

Impressive albeit a bit weird:

AMuzi

Must have been a fault in the exhaust system because that's the same place the exhaust pipe on my RX4 broke too. Only mine was a 12A with the twin distributors.

I had a lot of plug fouling problems even using the N2G plugs so I built a Capacitor Discharge Ignition system one for each dizzie (this was back about 75) which put out around 33k volts. Solved the fouling and gave instant starting.

Reply to
bugalugs

19MPG was what I regularly got but I once saw 21MPG on a trip they were IMP gallons.

At a race meeting I was involved with there were a number of RX2s entered. It was a 9 hour race and ran into the night. The exhaust had been modified to a 2 inch pipe which exited just in front of the rear wheel. As they went passed at night this glowing bright red pipe underneath the length of the car was very impressive.

Reply to
bugalugs

bugalugs wrote in news:j73o4h$a1r$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I also had plug-fouling issues. Oddly, only with leaded gas. When the plugs were new it would rev to 7,000 without problem, but once the plugs had been in there for a while it would begin misfiring at high revs. A few tanks of unleaded and the problem would eventually go away. So I just used unleaded all the time. More expensive than leaded, but at least there was no misfiring.

Reply to
Tegger

Actually, my ex got to fly a 1916 Bleriot once. Although, she is pretty macho. She did puke afterward from the stench of burned castor oil, though.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Inhaling those castor oil fumes was a Good laxative for those Airplane Pilots. cuhulin

Reply to
J R

My snail mail November 2011 Popular Mechanics magazine has an article about the EcoMotors OPOC engine.

cuhulin

Reply to
J R

I raced a couple Sachs Wankel powered Arctic Cats back in the day. Had a few 303s and had a couple 606s as well. If you could get the apex seals to hold up and could keep the plugs clean they ran pretty good. But man did they STINK....

Reply to
Steve W.

There were some Wankel engine lawn mowers too.That's what I want.Or maybe not. cuhulin

Reply to
J R

I just had to have one, but I didnt like anything about it. I finally sold it to a racer who wanted to put a Chevy in that body.

For me, it is no loss.

Reply to
hls