Camaro spark plugs

My nephew has a 1997 Camaro V6 which I believe has the original spark plugs in it. When his mother was driving the car I was going to change the spark plugs but found that some of the plugs, especially the right rear, appeared to be very difficult to get to. I took the heat shield off but still could not get to the plugs. My nephew says the car is now running poorly and from what he tells me I am guessing that it needs to have the plugs changed. If I put the car up on jackstands can I get them out from underneath? Will I have to loosen the engine mount and raise the engine?

Reply to
Mike Walsh

When I changed the spark plugs on my '97 Z28 (6-speed) it was a pain in the ass. I had the car on ramps and did most of them from underneath, but even so a couple were nasty indeed. However, with the V6 there should be more space around the engine, so it can't be that difficult.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Reply to
Mike Walsh

it. When his mother was driving the car I was going to change the spark plugs but found that some of the plugs, especially the right rear, appeared to be very difficult to get to. I took the heat shield off but still could not get to the plugs. My nephew says the car is now running poorly and from what he tells me I am guessing that it needs to have the plugs changed. If I put the car up on jackstands can I get them out from underneath? Will I have to loosen the engine mount and raise the engine?

Took me a while on my '95 Z-28. I did all from up above, but had to remove the alternator to get to one of them.

You think the plugs are a bitch, try replacing the wires.

Reply to
mst

You think a Camaro was bad, I had ex-girlfriend who drove a 1979 Pontiac Firebird wanting me to change the cars plugs, It took me a good 4 hours, bloody nuckles, and afterwards a twelve pack of Bud light to replace them plugs.

Reply to
sneezer