Camry car battery draining after a few weeks

My 2002 Toyota Camry runs and starts fine except if I go away for a few weeks, the car battery is completely dead when I return. First time, I replaced the battery. Second time, I took it into the dealer who checked the electricals said it was fine and that I had tightened the battery terminals well enough. Now it's happened again.

Question: will the clock and security system light drain a battery in

3 weeks? Should I disconnect the battery if I go away?
Reply to
terriemiller

It's in relation of using and not using this car. The best way is to disconnect the battery. There are some backup accumulators for connection on cigarette lighter on the market which provides power to backup radio and other devices to not loss memory.

If you use this car only for short drips a extern charging from time to time to charge this battery full would help.

That's the same problem that I have with my Chrysler Voyager, so I turn interior lights of and allowed only go on during night times.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

I have the same problem with one of my cars...In my case, the residual drain of current from the battery is only about 30-40 milliamps, USUALLY. Apparently, some system-as yet unidentified - activates occasionally and drains the battery.

You can install a battery cut off switch, cheap at WalMart, and disconnect the battery as needed.

Fixing this sort of intermittent fault can be troublesome. I have ordered a new VOM which will allow me to monitor the residual current constantly and record the maximum current drawn over a period of time. Eventually, this will let me ferret out the offending system.

Reply to
<HLS

In modern cars there is a LOT of electrical activity still going on even when ignition is off. Clock of course is one example, but there are many other drains now. It is like modern TV sets- they draw a lot of current whenever they are plugged in, not just when set is "on". This activity will drain a battery in a few weeks.

As someone else said, you need to either add an aftermarket switch, or charge the battery somehow between usage. The battery switch is not the greatest, as a lot of computerized settings will be lost and car will not drive as well, and all of your radio station presets will disappear.

The car will drive differently, because modern engine control computers store info on your driving style and optimize settings to it.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Thanks very much for your quick and helpful reply. I do have a trickle charger. But don't I need to disconnect the battery to use it (thereby losing the presets and settings annyway)?

Reply to
terriemiller

Thanks very much for your quick and helpful reply. I do have a trickle charger. But don't I need to disconnect the battery to use it (thereby losing the presets and settings annyway)?

Reply to
terriemiller

Be careful with electronic charger. Some of them providing a electric impulse to charge and a damage of vehicle electronic may result! Only with a normal charger - transformer and rectifier, charging without a disconnect.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

A trickle charger can be a good interim solution. Even they can damage batteries over long usage.

For extended use of a charger I have sometimes put a small 12V lamp, such as a trouble light, in series with the charger so that the current is limited to the battery.

For example, if you wanted to limit the total short circuit current to a battery to a half amp, you would use a 12 volt lamp in the range of 6-7 watts (or the nearest reasonable value). This simply keeps a positive bias on the battery and will counteract most normal key off current draw.

Reply to
<HLS