Can alternators get better?

Here's my story:

I'm in Los Angeles, California (weather is currently warm/mild), and I own a

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 1.8 with about 80,000 miles.

About seven months ago my battery light came on, but would go out if I did high acceleration. I took it the car to a repair shop, who said my alternator was failing, so it was replaced with a new one (or to be more precise a remanufactured one.)

Then three months later, one evening, the battery light came back on, but this time I never even made it to the repair shop as my car lost all power on a road, and I had to be towed to the repair shop.

The repair shop said it was the alternator again, and I got the previous alternator purchase replaced under warranty (with another "new" remanufactured one.)

Now to the present day, four months later, and my battery light came back on again one evening, and after a couple of hours (meaning to get it checked out first thing next day) I lost power once again driving home.

(Before it died, putting my foot down would also make the battery light disappear.)

AAA came out and tested my four-year old battery and said it was not good (and also mentioned it was "not bubbling" ) and they replaced it with a new one.

The car was now able to start, and the lights appeared much brighter. They also tested my alternator, and the electronic test unit they used said that my alternator had failed the test.

So today I plan to get a new alternator.

This morning I started the car and the battery light does not come on, saying all is well with the electrical system(?)

Does, anybody have any thoughts on what could be going on?

If you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Can bad alternators get better i.e. improve, or fluctuate in performance from day to day?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Simon.

Reply to
simonc

Intermittently bad battery (internal shorts) lead to death of the first

3 alts.

Is it safe to assume that the battery that was replaced was the original?

sim> Here's my story:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

No, the battery in the car now is number 3. After three years of use, the original battery was replaced four years ago. And then that battery just got replaced.

I'm curious as to why my battery light is now not lit up (indicating no problem.) To be on the safe side, should I get a new alternator because it failed the recent test?

And is the battery being charged at the moment by the alternator, or just partially, or am I just running off the battery?

Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
simonc

Approximately 11/11/03 09:48, simonc uttered for posterity:

No. However, it may not be the alternator. From replacing the battery to multiple replacing the alternator, sounds like you've been the victim of "swap and pray" troubleshooting.

In LA there are all sorts of good automotive electricals specialty shops. Head for one and get your cables checked, your alternator checked, your battery checked, your voltage regulator checked [if not built in to the alternator], and anything else in your charging control system checked. Don't let your current shop continue to just piecemeal it. The shop should be willing to drop in a test battery if needed to test your alternator and complete charging control system across the full rpm range, and specially at low rpm.

I had a Volvo that actually had an open circuit behind the dash and went thru similar sorts of gyrations with battery, alternator, etc. until my shop sent me to the electrical shop on the Lomita/Torrance border. Took them a coupla hours, but they found and fixed it and it never failed after.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Approximately 11/11/03 11:41, simonc uttered for posterity:

The person making the test may have been a doofus.

Go to Radio Shack and buy an inexpensive voltmeter. With your engine running at about 1500 rpm, you should see 14.7 volts across the battery terminals...and those terminals and cables should be clean and tight.

Then drop the rpm to idle, you should still see charging. If not, your battery is slowly gonna go dead in LA traffic.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Anyone check the belt?

because it

battery light

brighter.

Reply to
Art Begun

Do yourself a favor and go to a junkyard. Find a similiar car (Geo Prizm of same year for example). Or, just about any Toyota that uses the 7AFE 1.8L engine. Yank out the OE alternator which is a Nippon Denso. Drop it in and be on your way for 200,000+ miles. If the battery light comes on, get new brushes for $7 and be on your merry way.

These so-called "mechanics" are the absolute scum of the earth.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim H.

Indeed, every city has it's gems. I had a problem with a 1981 Ford Escort. Thing would not charge. Finally in frustration I took it to a little place called the Battery Exchange. Turns out one of the belts was bad.

Reply to
COTTP

True. The dashboard light is lit when the alternator regulator tells it to come on - if the alternator regulator thinks it's putting out power OK, it won't light the lamp.

It might be working, just not enough to keep up with the load.

13.5 (cold) to 15 volts (hot), depending on the outside temperature.

You will get a voltage drop whenever you are sitting at idle, since the alternator doesn't put out it's full power output until the engine is above 1,200 to 1,800 RPM.

In almost all cars, sitting at idle is break-even on battery charge during the day with no accessory loads on, and a slow battery draw if the AC and/or the headlights are on. Sit at curb idle long enough with the headlights, wipers, and air or heat on, with your foot on the brakes (brake lights on), and the battery will go dead.

But the voltage should hold at above 12 to 12.5 volts for a while, as the alternator is trying to keep up but the battery has to put out a little power. If it drops to 11.5 volts or below, either the alternator is barely working, or the battery has a dead cell. It happens, even on brand new batteries.

Once the light turns green and you get moving, the battery will charge back up.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Stop allowing mechanics to take guesses with your car. A voltmeter will tell you everything you need to know.

Assuming that the belt is good, I'd say all you ever really needed was a good rebuilt alternator or one from a junkyard. Sounds to me like they put in junk rebuilt alternators (i.e. - Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.).

Reply to
Childfree Scott

They don't call them "idiot lights" for nothing. Lights are notoriously inaccurate. A voltmeter (or better still an ammeter) would tell conclusively if the alternator is keeping up with the electrical load, and in the case of the ammeter will tell whether it is charging the battery or if the battery is supplying current to run the electrical loads. Ammeters are difficult to wire in, though, and that's part of the reason that no one except Chrysler used them in the past 30 years, and Chrysler quit quite a few years ago also.

You're probably running off the battery.

Reply to
Steve

In news: snipped-for-privacy@texas.net, Steve being of bellicose mind posted:

An "idiot light" could more accurately be described in today's vernacular as a "threshold indicator."

Ammeters followed the DC generator into obscurity, regardless of manufacturer.

A voltmeter would suggest that condition as soon as the voltmeter displayed less than nominal battery voltage of 12.6v.

Reply to
Philip®

Reply to
John

Too bad. 1989 was the last year Chrysler offered them, IIRC.

The biggest drawback was that you had to run heavy-guage wiring to and from the ammeter, and that in itself added an extra failure point.

Quite true. But an ammeter tells you the instant that the failure occurs, because the needle immediately swings toward "discharge."

Reply to
Steve

There is no need to run the heavy gage cable from the alternator to an ammeter and then to the battery. Standard practice for such installation is a 14-16 guage wire in parallel.

Which would distress most people until they came to ignor the thing. There are people out there who couldn't accept the fact that oil pressure varies so ....Ford (for one) on some models made the oil pressure meter read mid scale when pressure was above 9 psi .... no fluctuations ever UNLESS.... the pressure dropped below 9 psi, then the meter would read zero.

Reply to
Philip®

Probably another part of the reason they're gone. Much is the pity, once again we have to settle for "lowest common denominator" crap.

Yep. An 'idiot guage'. Worse than an idiot light, because at LEAST the light grabs your attention quickly.

Reply to
Steve