1994 Sentra alternator problems

My alternator has needed replacement for the 3rd time in 10 months.
Last October my battery light came on, and the repair shop I normally use
replaced the alternator. I bought the car used in 1997 but I am fairly certain it was the original alternator. The car had 183K miles on it.
In June this year the same thing happened, the light flickered occasionally for a day or so, then came on permanently and I took the car into the shop. The alternator was replaced again.
Last week this happened for the 3rd time (light came on). Took the car to the dealership and the light would not come on for them. They kept it for 3 days and eventually the light came on. The dealer repair shop said the alternator had an internal short. So, I took the car back original repair shop and they are replacing the alternator again since it is under warranty.
Any ideas on what to look for as to why this is happening? By the way the battery if 4 years old, it is a 66 month battery.
One more thing, when the battery light on the dash goes on, the brake light also goes on. I sometimes hear a sparking or arcing sound, like a relay is clicking and these two light flash when that is happening.
Mark
Well I've never heard of that happening with a genuine Nissan alternator replacement. But I've definitely seen that happen with aftermarket `lifetime' alternators when I worked in the shop (and if you read around here for a while, you'll see it mentioned elsewhere as well, recently by NissTech). Bite the bullet and buy the OEM alternator, just look how much time you'll save on repeat visits and down time without the car (and how much time you've already invested).
So much for `quality' aftermarket rebuilt units right? The Nissan one lasted you 183,000 miles. Quality speaks for itself.
Wil
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:01:41 GMT, "Mark Fields"

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:01:41 GMT, "Mark Fields"

You've no doubt got some chassis wiring grounding out on the frame or wiring shorting out with other wiring. Good luck.
WRONG

occasionally
shop.
for 3

repair
warranty.
the
light
is
wiring

You can't catagorically make a statement like that. :)

wiring
What do you base this on?
Mark
I also have replaced my altenator 3 times on my 94 sentra.
i bought mine used also. first altenator went out, i bought a refurb at autozone. <-- lifetime warranty thank god
i installed a new stereo with my older brother and after a year the altenator went out again and the battery this time.
then about 9 months ago the same issue happened so i replaced the altenator but about 5 days after someone had stolen my stereo. everything seems okay now, but i think its time to get a new car.
the repairs only were about $200
99 for the alt and 99 for a new battery.
installed by me and my father.
larry.
If you keep using aftermarket junk parts the lights will continue to come on
Like Wil said, Bite the bullet and go to the dealership and get an OEM rebuilt alternator and you will not have to worry about it for a long time

occasionally
shop.
3
warranty.
light
is

WRONG :)

I didn't see in the post where Mark mentioned aftermarket or OEM, how can you make that ASSumption? :)

Site Timeline