Can I switch manual to automatic?

I have a 92 Jetta that runs beutiful but am having major clutch problems. It would cost more to repair than I paid for the whole car. The junkyards in my area just have automatic transmissions for the Jettas. Is it possible to take my manual transmission out and replace it with an automatic without too much hassle?

Reply to
SpongeHead

You think the car'll cost a lot to repair now? Wait til you add the automatic transmission, even if the answer to your question were "Yes", which it isn't.

If you like the car, fix it. If you don't, replace it.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You'll probably spend alot more to convert to an automatic as it would to fix your clutch. There is a lot more than just the transmission involved.

Fix it or get another car.

Reply to
D Lawrence

Possible to do it? Yes. Possible without a lot of hassle? No. Certainly a lot more hassle than fixing the clutch..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I can't see a auto trans costing less than a clutch. Not to mention that it is a lot more work to swap out the transmissions than it is to put in the clutch and put the original trans back in.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

The hassels come when PRND32 does not show up front and guess what, in the mixup I'd ran over a love one and regret it til today. We switch to automatic thinking it's safer. Rick

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus