automatic to manual transmission swap

My 1989 Corolla is an automatic. I'd like to put in a manual transmission, if possible. If so, I need to know if there are problems involved with switching trannies in this model. Is there a bulleton or manual or magazine article that might cover the procedure? JDO

Reply to
JDO

There is no factory manual that covers the procedure to change an automatic to a manual transmission. It is probably much less expensive to purchase a

1989 Corolla with a manual transmission than to try to convert a 17 year old car. Among the things besides the transmission itself, you will have to change the ECU, install a clutch master cylinder and associated lines, clutch pedal, and transmission ECU.
Reply to
Ray O

Here's someone who did something similar - quite involved as you'll see:

nospampls2002

Great article - not like the old days (pre-70's) when it was simple. Bet going from manual to automatic is even more effort! I like the folks that want to add 4WD to say a 2WD yota PU --- definately cheaper to sell and buy a different one!

Reply to
Wolfgang