can water in your tires make them go out of balance?

Just curious...

reason I ask is I have new front tires that have less than 10K miles on them and they're already shaking. Weird thing is that it kind of comes and goes. Wondering if maybe I got some "wet" air because it's been so damp all winter this year? I did have to add air at least once, maybe twice, and since I don't have my own compressor I'm at the mercy of the coin-op thing at the gas station.

The other alternative is that I'm already having a CV joint ready to go, which is a possibility, as leaving work every day involves WOT acceleration into fast moving traffic, due to the crap location of my office and lack of a traffic light. Or that my tires are no good, but they're Michelins, which I've always had good luck with...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news:hnc6uv0o82 @news4.newsguy.com:

Because the monkey that mounted them was as stupid as all the other stupid tire-monkeys. I do not choose the simian metaphor lightly.

Weird thing is that it kind of comes

It's not water, it's stupid tire-monkeys.

Stupid garage managers think tires are the job you give to the stupidest or newest or lowest-paid employee. That means your tires get mounted stupidly.

I had 25 years of that shit. It took ONE good garage to explain to me exactly why this happens, and how to prevent it. Needless to say, this garage does all my tires.

Reply to
Tegger

If you always get the shake in the same location at the same speed, and never get it in some other locations, it's the road surface. a CV joint will cause a shimmy under acceleration, and it should stop immediately when you get off the throttle. Flat spotting could be a possibility if it happens only after the car sits, and then goes away for the rest of the trip.

The surest way to check the tire balance is to just have them balanced again.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

You are 100% right, and that is why I refuse to let discount tire touch my car again. Those ass-hats seem to think the yellow and red markings on the sidewall are just decoration. Imagine how much money they would save on balancing weights if they just followed the advice of the people who made the tires and marked out the high and low weight variations right on the side.

A good tire shop is worth the money.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

My guess would be sloppy tie rod ends... HTH Ben

Reply to
ben91932

That'd be disappointing at 35K miles. but it is a Chevy.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Some people put water in their farm tractors tires for some extra weight.They have been doing that for many years. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Water and calcium chloride normally. They also aren't spinning those tires at highway speeds.

Reply to
Pete C.