Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

Or even ban Americans !!!

Reply to
Graham J

You need a smaller but very skilled workforce to maintain and repair the robots.

Reply to
Peter Hill

After a while, the robots will learn to fix themselves. Even skilled workers will be obsolete. Humans will mostly be working on getting a serious tan.

Reply to
dsi1

so you are still on about tyres and nuts, jesus who do you work for ? kwikfit !!!!

Reply to
critcher

are you all dickheads ?????

Reply to
critcher

That's the UK out then.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not a problem. Once out of the EU, you just issue work permits to the Germans needed. When a robot breaks down, shouldn't take more than a couple of months to get the paperwork needed, and a few days to get through the border checks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What makes you think that you require German engineers rather than Korean?

Reply to
alan_m

Last night I did all six brake sets (12 pads/shoes) on a German car:

The fronts mic'd greater than 0.800 inches so I kept the rotors.
But the rears were below 0.7200 inches & they were edge lipped:
You never know if a rotor will be below thickness specification until you measure it, so since I didn't have a new set of rotors, I decided to try the redneck methods of truing them up, just for the learning experience.
One nice thing about doing all your own mechanical work on a car is you find stuff like this busted brake line, which you won't know if a mechanic will find because they don't spend the time to look around that you might.

ultred ragnusen

China and India are turning out 1000's of engineers every year. Indian engineers work for about 1/2 the price of UK engineers and 1/3 the price of the best sub-con consultancies. Mind you many of the analysis jobs that get put out there have to be done 3x before they get it right but overall it's cheaper.

Polish engineers are cheaper than US and UK and high quality.

I work with 2 that have moved to the UK.

In UK many with the STEM skills that are required for engineering go into finance and earn 2.5-5x what engineers earn.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I'd be putting money on you being the cause of that little faux pas!

Reply to
Xeno

Ah - right. Brexit is only about controlling 'immigration' from the EU, then? All others will be free to come and go as they please? Figures.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All the best robots are German. This valuable training video may have some information on the subject:

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Nothing to do with immigration. Someone coming in from anywhere in the world to fix a robot on behalf a company is not expecting residency!

Reply to
alan_m

Maybe. I've done the brakes on this German care before, but where I hang the calipers on a special hook designed to take the stress off the brake lines.

The one great thing about doing all your own work is you know that mechanics screw up left and right but don't tell you, so, I know that a mechanic didn't do this because my cars, all around twice the average that people keep cars, have never been to a mechanic.

It's nice though to try those redneck methods, where it would be safer if I had a motor with a faceplate that I could bolt the rotor to, so that I could grind or sand down the surface at home with some semblance of evenness.

Reply to
ultred ragnusen

Lower air fare?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

ultred ragnusen posted for all of us...

Yes the only reason you got this one is because they ran out of cheaper ones. Some new cars do not have spares...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Still going to need controls on who can and cannot come into the country. If you're going to stop itinerate EU fruit pickers who don't come to settle here either. Just to do a job of work.

I really can't see how you can have tight control over boarders while still making it easy for a foreign national to enter the country quickly - as would be needed in this case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What was the name of that British king who invited Hengist and Horsa over to solve a few problems? Britain has taken over 70 years to lose WWII. That's got to be a record.

Reply to
rbowman

4 robots on tour doesn't rate on the list of TOP 14 world industrial robotic makers.

ABB are 3rd and they aren't German. Facilities for research, development and manufacturing located in Sweden, Czech Republic, Norway, Mexico, Japan, USA and China.

Stäubli is Swiss.

So no Germans with an installed base of more than 20,000 robots. In the main makers of industrial robots are Asian.

The Germans do make a lot of CNC controls.

Reply to
Peter Hill