Car repair advice needed

Hello, I do not know much about cars and need advice. I purchased a 1995 Chevy Lumina 3 years ago. I paid $2500 for it. Since then, I have put about $3000 into it for various repairs. In January, it would not start. I had it towed to the garage. The mechanic said it is leaking oil and transmission fluid. He said it also needed a new starter. He charged me $550 to clean the fluid off the engine and to put in a new starter. I went to pick it up in the evening, after it had been sitting in the icy cold all day, and it would not start. It was in the same condition as before I had paid the $550! The next day, he told me that he would need to put in some kind of new wires for $220. I paid for him to do that, and the car now starts. However, it runs just as poorly as before once it starts. Sometimes, I have to start it 5-10 times to back it out of my driveway. For the first 10-20 minutes, it will stall out when I idle at a red light, and the brakes to not work properly. When I try to push on the break pedal it is like there is an object in the way, and I have to push down with quite a bit of force. Once the car has been running

10-20 minutes it runs fine (for now?!??!). .... Now, the muffler is suddenly making a tremendous amount of noise. It sounds like a lawn mower, or louder.

I never had the two leaks fixed that the mechanic told me about. He said that it will cost about $600 to have the leaks fixed. Right now, according to him, the car is leaking oil and transmission fluid and it is getting all over the engine.

What I am wondering is this. At what point would a person who is knowledgeable about cars decide that enough money has been put into a vehicle and that another used car should be purchased? I presently cannot afford to buy a new car. If I buy a car it will have to be another car in the $2500 price range. This Chevy is now in need of the $600 repair for the leaks, the muffler needs to be fixed, and soon I will need new tires and brakes. It is getting to the point where it will need so much money in repairs that I could buy another used car. On the other hand, if I buy another used car for $2500, won't that quickly need repairs too? I am wondering if it will be a case where I will spend $2500 for a used car and then it will need $3000 or more in repairs, like this Chevy has needed? If that is the case, I might as well just keep the Chevy and pay for all the repairs. Or, since this car is 13 years old already, would I be better off spending $2500 to get a newer car? Would a newer car generally need less repairs for awhile?

I know very little about cars and I am confused. I hope someone will give me advice. I am a college student and I am in a financial disaster. I almost can't afford the tuition payments for graduation, and now I am having all this trouble with my car. The drive to school is an hour each way. Every time I get in the car I wonder if it will make it. There is no bus system in my area, and I have no one to drive me to school, even for a short while. Please give me advice if you can. Should I keep sinking money into this 1995 Chevy or should I start thinking about getting a new car?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

Reply to
QA2008

The following message looks like a major troll to me, but if anyone wants to start addressing the extensive list of problems described, go ahead and start the pile of posts If what the message says is true, then QA2008 needs some life advice from a friendly uncle.

Sorry for the top post.

Rodan. ________________________________________________________

[...]

Rodan

I looked up the word "Troll" and found that you are saying I am posting a fake message! You are not being very helpful. You are right, that I need advice from a friendly uncle. I do not have anyone to give me advice. Every time I ask anyone for car advice, they tell me they do not know what to do. I hoped that people who are interested in cars could give me advice. I am trying to ask whether it is worth it to keep pouring money into this Chevy. If I buy another used car, it seems like I would have to pour money into that. It seems that no matter what I do I am doomed with this car situation. At this point, I would start taking the bus but there is not a bus system in my city. I need real advice about whether to keep sinking money into this car or to get another used car and start sinking money into that. It seems to me that if I get another used car I will be in the exact same boat I am in now with this Chevy.

Reply to
QA2008

While the Lumina doesnt get rave reviews on quality or dependability, it should have been better that what you experienced...

You bought a money pit. One would hope that with all those repairs (which sound excessively expensive to me, by the way) this thing would start developing a little reliability, but apparently the car is addicted to frequent and expensive visits to the garage.

We dont know what sort of engine and transmission is in that car, nor the mileage involved, but I suspect that your problems are not over. If your transmission fails, or your engine commits suicide, you are looking at substantially more expensive repair jobs or you will be left with a worthless hunk of metal.

- You could take a course in auto tuneup and repair at a local community college, or suchlike, get yourself a manual, and start doing some of your own work. That could save you a lot of money, or...

- Get this thing running well enough to sell it and buy something that is more reliable...This time, have a mechanic friend help you choose more wisely. Dont buy somebody else's problems, if you can avoid it.

Reply to
HLS

"QA2008" wrote in news:desAj.15365$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

A car this old is going to be very much a product of the care it's received in its life. 13 years is a long time for neglect, aftermarket parts and inept servicing to do lots of damage. And it sounds like yours has definitely not been looked after.

My general recommendation to any non-techie wanting car-buying advice from me is to get the absolute newest car he can afford, just to minimize the probability of buying a money pit.

Consider how much you would have to pay to get something newer and in better shape. Now contrast that against how much you'd have to pay to completely overhaul your current Lumina. That's how you decide whether to keep or sell.

Reply to
Tegger

Judging from your comments it sounds as if you don't trust the capabilities of your "mechanic".

Looks like he might have convinced you to exit the "boat you are in now" in exchange for "a ride to the cleaners".

There are several ways to fix all your problems: 1) replace the mechanic, or 2) buy a NEW car, or 3) buy a bicycle, or 4) carpool. If you choose option #1 you must have someone other than yourself, since you don't know anything about cars, select a good mechanic for you. Good Luck! Life may not be the party we hoped for,But while we`re here we should dance

Reply to
Joe Brophy

Not an easy situation.

With a car that age I normally say dump it when the monthly upkeep starts costing more than payments on a new one or when a major component fails like the trans or engine.

Not to be mean, but you probably aren't going to find a great replacement car in the price range you are looking in. Best thing I can tell you is to buy from the original owner, not a used car lot. Check them out just as much as you check out the car. Nice house? Well kept yard? May sound dumb but in the age/price range you are shopping in how a car was cared for makes all the difference. If you can buy a car from a cute little granny and granpa with the perfectly maintained house and all the service records for the car since it was new I'm picking that one over the one in the trailer park with used appliances in the yard and the bubba that "changed the earl" once a year. Once you pick the car you need to take the car and have it checked out by a mechanic. People love to sell their problems which is what it sounds like you bought last time. Don't let my cute granny from above get you! You can not skip this step if you don't know a whole lot about cars.

Can u lease a new car? Normally I don't care for that idea but perhaps u could get the cheapest thing with four wheels for a hundred and change a month on a lease.

For the current vehicle: You need to start looking for somewhere else to take the vehicle for service. A starter replacement on that car should have been half what you paid. Ask friends and family who they use.... Normally I try to find an honest small independent shop and stay away from the chains like Goodyear and pep boys etc..

As far as the oil and trans leaking there normally isn't any reason these have to be fixed quickly unless they are major leaks.. Just keep a close eye on the fluid levels so you don't run low.

Reply to
Steve B.

I have heard that the Geo Prizms of this era were extra reliable little cars, and you might be able to find one in the price range you are talking about.

I believe they were based on the Toyota Corolla, but I cant say for sure.

Owners I have talked to say that they last forever, BUT you can still buy a POS if you arent careful. As previously mentioned, if you get one that someone "dogged", and they didnt change oil or tranny fluid, etc, then you wont be any better off..

Some GM models have problems that are known to everybody in the trade and you might want to avoid those.. For example, the 3800 Series II engine of the middle 90's to early 2000's have a plenum problem which almost always fails, given enough time. It can cost enough ($350 to near $1000) to get it fixed. Some of the others with 3.1-3.4 engines have other problems having to do with intake manifold gasket failures. If people have not maintained their auto transmissions, you might not get much more than 100,000 miles out of them, or less.

Some Ford models had engine problems and tranny problems, as did Chrysler. Taurus is one model that has been a laughing stock in some groups. A lot of people bought them, some loved them, but a lot fell to pieces in short order.

Reply to
HLS

Well, First of find a better mechanic. From what you have posted this one is REAL good at taking money and doing shoddy work. If he told you to come and get it because it was ready and it didn't start, he didn't repair the problem. The LEAKS, could be simply gasket leaks.

From your description of the crappy running and the brakes it sounds like you have a LARGE vacuum leak. That shouldn't be very hard for you to track yourself. Open the hood and look at the brake booster (big round thing bolted to the firewall with the master cylinder attached) It has a large line that goes from it to the engines intake manifold. Look for cracks or splits in the line and check that both ends are on tight. Now look on the engine itself for any loose hoses that are just laying there. Check ALL the hoses for leaks. To make it easier you could go to a parts store and buy a can of WD40. Start the engine and let it idle, now use the can to LIGHTLY spray each hose. Do them one at a time and listen to the engine. When you hear the engine rev up (like you were pushing the throttle) check the area you just sprayed for the leak. Fix the leak and see if your brakes work.

Reply to
Steve W.

If you are looking for advice, then here is mine: Dump the car. It prob has the 3.1 engine with the leaking intake manifold. Buy a Toyota Corolla.

Reply to
Paul

My rule of thumb is that when a cost of repair is greater than the value of the car, I get rid of it. Guaranteed if car is wrecked you will only get bluebook value.

Reply to
Frank

buy a toyota! and buy a 3800.00 trans or failed head gasket done both in the last month for customers asian crap cars and i did a nissan full size truck with 25 k that gets a new raditor nissan would not cover under warranty at 2 different dealers per customer still under

3/36 his parting comment was i will never buy another one nothing but trouble with truck since day 1

Paul wrote:

Reply to
mr.som ting wong

That's good to know. It is normal for those head gaskets to fail after a few years? Do you replace a lot of them? Same for the trans?

Reply to
Paul

I would demand a refund for all but 1 hour of labor because you paid to get your car problems fixed, not merely have parts thrown randomly at them. I hope you paid by credit card.

Take a course in basic auto maintenance and repair at a community college, or at least read some introductory books about car repair, preferrably not Chilton or Haynes manuals.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Over the years, many cars have had runs of defective or short lived elements. Some are worse than others.

A lot of Nissans and Toyotas will run nearly forever. There were some problems on some, JUST AS GM HAS HAD SEVERE PROBLEMS IN MANY VEHICLES>

Check before you buy.

Reply to
HLS

Dear QA2008:

You do not have the mechanical experience to repair a car. You do not have the language ability to describe car symptoms. You do not have the financial knowledge to avoid being cheated by car repairmen.

You should not own a car.

Whether you keep your current car or replace it with another, you are doomed to perpetual disaster because of your inexperience and gullibility.

If there is somewhere you have to be, and there is no public transportation, one possible solution is to rent a car on a daily as-needed basis from a local 'Rent-A-Wreck' dealer. If that car quits, you are not responsible for repairs, and the dealer will immediately provide another car so you can keep driving.

Or, if you are able, move closer to where you need to be so you can walk.

I am sorry you were so poorly treated by dishonest mechanics. Save your money until you can afford a car with an added total repair warranty.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

If you eventually decide to get a different vehicle you might check out the auctions and sales from the big national rental car agencies. Most of the time they will have

Reply to
Joe Brophy

Find a competent mechanic and have him go over it. Not the guy that you have been having look over the car, but someone who will spend some time and find _everything_ that is wrong with the car.

Once you know this, then you can make a good decision.

As long as you keep them topped off, engine and transmission fluid leaks may not be a problem at all. I'd worry about your bad muffler and about the fact that it doesn't run well a whole lot more.

Basically, the way a car is treated in the first six months determines a lot about how well it will last for the rest of its life. If you buy a used car, you are basically at the mercy of the first car's owner.

This means you COULD buy a car and find it's less reliable. Or also you could buy a car and find it pays for itself in a short amount of time with fewer repairs.

Find another student who DOES know something about cars, and ask him or her to go over your car and see what they can find wrong. Odds are you have a lot of things wrong, and some of them you can ignore forever, some of them you can ignore only for a while, and some of them you cannot ignore at all. You need to know these things and which category they are in before you can make an informed decision.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

It is a damned shame that all high schools do not have a required course in automotive sciences (including driving).

Here in Texas, almost all schools used to have drivers education courses, but that is not necessarily the case any more. I guess you learn from your parents now, and that is pretty poor schooling. We have some of the worst drivers I have ever seen.

Girls and boys both should have to know some basics about automobile mechanical systems, other than just the key, the accelerator, the gear shift, and the gas cap.

Reply to
HLS

In high school, I was told that auto shop was only for the stupid kids and that I wasn't allowed to take it. I was horrified. I still am. It would have helped me a whole lot when I went to engineering school.

If you put only the stupid kids in the auto shop class, you wind up with stupid mechanics, and that is very, very bad. Especially given the increasing complexity of cars today.

I think some basic knowledge ought to be required before you can get your license. At the very least you should be tested on changing a tire and checking your oil.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey