car wont strat on;y as slight spark at coil

i have a K reg renault espace it started shuddering on the motorway and had to be towed home as wouldnt start, after it as been run once it wont start again for a while when it does start it is missing have changed spark plugs, ht leads and rotar arm and cap also fuel filter still no difference any ideas??

-- Message posted using

information at

nicki281979

If you have very poor spark, I would settle in and see if I could find out why this is the case. You have replaced the easier parts in the ignition system with no apparent success. Be really sure that your spark at the plug is deficient before you spend a lot more time and money.

Since recent model Renault's are not well known in the USA, I cannot say much about the type of ignition system used in that car. We assume it does not have contact points and condensor, so we may suspect it has some sort of ignition module, a sensor of some sort to trigger the spark, etc. Unless you can find someone who can test these (?) for you, you may have to continue to diagnose by replacement.

I offer you encouragement, but not a lot of real help, Im afraid.

Reply to
HLS

a weak spark? is the compression good? do you have gas? does that car have a carburetor? can you squirt a bit of gas into the carb with an oil can to see if it fires?maybe its the fuel pump? I remember the old Chrysler products of the 70's had a ballast resister that would go bad and cause a weak spark and cause the car not start. I have no idea how the renault's ignition system works.

Reply to
boxing

I don't know what this car is, but clearly there isn't good HV coming off the coil (which you probably could have verified before swapping all that stuff out).

This means either the coil is bad, or the coil isn't getting the right firing voltage because whatever fires it (ignition module? Points?) is bad.

Coils don't go bad very often. Almost certainly it's whatever is driving it, if you are getting a poor spark. And you are sure you are getting a poor spark, right?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey