vw scirocco problems

Hi

Hope somebody has had this as it is driving me nuts!

Got a D reg 1800 gt Scirocco which generally purrs. However there is a totally erratic fault. Every know and again the car cuts out. As you accelerate the engine lurchs and loses power. If you dip the clutch you can keep the engine running smoothly by hitting the gas but as soon as you let of the gas the engine dies. Very easy to start afterwards but will not drive, idles ok (sometimes!). if you leave it for a minute it will start ok and drive ok! You may be able to drive it ok for 20miles then go to the local shops and it lurches.

Totally random when it happens, the car either drives perfect or not at all, normally on the same journey.

Happens slightly more often going up hills but has happened on flat and downhill.

I have replaced today:

coil HT leads cap rotor arm vacuum hoses

Has had a recent fuel pump and air filter.

RAC blokey dismantled carb and cleaned jets.

Any ideas please before I go bald!!!!

Cheers all and stay happy

Posted from

montag

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.NOSPAM.uk (montag) mumbled:

Check that the hot air pipe from the shell round the exhaust manifold's still there and still leads to the stub inlet on the air filter. Then check that the flap which selects whether you're getting hot or cold air isn't stuck.

To be honest, it's fairly unlikely in this heat however humid it is, though throttle bodies can get darned cold.

Reply to
Guy King

Which carb does it have? - and is it manual or auto-choke.

My Golf Cabrio (with a Scirocco 1600 engine) did this for a while, before giving up completely due, I think, to a knackered auto-choke mechanism.

Could be worth investigating.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.NOSPAM.uk (montag) mumbled:

Proably the wrong time of year for carb icing, but I s'pose anything's possible and it is /very/ humid!

Reply to
Guy King

Could be, or muck in the fuel. Check the inline fuel filter (should be one). Might need the tank cleaning out. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK