Changing steering wheel orientation

Just got my '92 Dodge Shadow back from the shop, where they replaced the CV joint and rebuilt the transmission.

While the steering wheel has always pointed a bit clockwise when the wheels are straight, it now points at about 2:00 o'clock.

This bugs me, and I'm thinking I can probably just unscrew and remove the airbag, loosen a bolt/nut/whatever and reposition the wheel, then reverse to reassemble.

Is it this simple? Is there a risk of accidentally deploying the airbag just by removing and re-installing it?

TIA Mike

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Generally speaking steering wheel centering is adjusted at the tie rods, not the wheel itself. Assuming the alignment is correct, you lengthen one rod while you shorten the other by the same amount, the rack moves a corresponding amount to one side & the steering wheel rotates, all without affecting the toe setting. Typically, there should have been no reason to futz with the toe setting to install drive shafts or a transmission, but in the process of separating the rod ends from the steering knuckles to do the job, god only knows what they may have #&%*!'d up (probably inadvertently shortened or lengthened one of the rods). So as Nate said your 1st step is to be sure the alignment IS in fact correct. Don't move the steering wheel!

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk

Thanks guys! I have a pretty good relationship with my mechanic, I'll just take it back and ask him to look at it.

Reply to
Mike Patterson