"Check Engine" Light

My check engine light started to come on a few minutes after cold startup, and doesn't go off. I now notice that the engine starts up cold with a slow idle, maybe around 1000 then drops, where it used to start cold at 2000 and drop a few minutes later.

The engine is 2.3L 4 cyl in a '92 Ford Ranger pickup, with 40,000 miles. I just had it checked for smog in June, and it passed. The slow idle at cold start makes me think it might have something to do with a temp sensor. But my knowledge of electronics, altho really good, isn't up to speed on the workings of the newer auto smog controls, etc. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'

Have a look here for info on retrieving trouble codes:

Robert Hancock

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nospamshaw.ca mentioned...

Thanks to the website you gave, and some other google search info on Ford Rangers, I think I can get an idea of what the problem is. Altho most of the info wasn't specific to Ranger, it seemed to be applicable to all Fords in that model year. There sure is a bewildering numbe of trouble codes, however I cvan eliminate some dealing with auto trans since mine is manual. Again, thank you very much.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'