Chev Cavalier transmission slips

Hi I have a 1998 Chev Cavalier with an automatic transmission. I have no problems with the car in the summer but in the winter, -15c or colder it 'slips'. I'm not sure if 'slip' is the right word. I let the car warm up for 10 minutes or so and when I start to drive, is seems like the transmission doesnt engage fully. The engine is revving high but I barely move. A few minutes of driving like this it gets better (I put on the gas and I go). This happened last year as well so I know it's only in cold weather. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Reply to
Unknowing

"Unknowing" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

Have you checked ATF fluid level?

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

Have you checked the fluid level in the tranny, when was the filter last serviced ???

Reply to
Mike

Newsbeitragnews: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

As strange as it may seem there is no dip stick to check it with. According to the Haynes manual there should be a dip stick. :( All there is on the top of the transaxle is a Red cap labled Trans Fluid. In the Haynes manual, they do say that some transaxles have a check plug on the front which the fluid should be level with. I removed this check plug and the ATF fluid was higher than the plug. (fluid came out).

Reply to
Unknowing

"Unknowing" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

Indeed, very strange!

This is common in manual transaxles.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

Not strange at all. If you read the operator manual it tells you that you don't have to check the level unless you have obvious signs of leakage.

Reply to
Woody