Chinese cars coming.

Any thoughts about the quality or safety of chinese cars? They were shown at the auto show. (I wont buy a China car regardless of quality)

If China is considered to be an enemy why are we importing their cars? Whats next Iran and N. Korean cars?

Reply to
Kayla W

A simple question that has a complex answer. The best way I can put it in a few words is that the powers that be in the USA are not enemies with China. China's government and corporate alliance is a threat to the people of the USA (as well as the people of China), but a friend to the corporate-government elites in the USA.

Reply to
Brent P

Whoa, whoa, whoa...China is not our enemy, at this point. They are our competitors, and they have their own opinions, and just to disagree with them does not make them our enemies.

We have lots of people who dont like us. We have, to some degree, earned this wrath.

The American public wants to buy things that are shiny and cheap. Enter China.

Reply to
<HLS

The workers in china compete with the workers in the USA mostly as US companies relocate to china.

Except in China there is no minimum wage, no worker safety, no environmental laws of consquence, no a lot of the things we have. Plus their currency is fixed against the dollar.

So if you're willing to work for table scraps and live in company dorm room, you might just be able to 'compete' with your counter part in China.

Reply to
Brent P

Do a search for, Toyota's Ultra Low Cost Car

I did last week.I saw a link about Tata cars (made in India) for about $1,000. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

This has always been the case, just not to the same degree. For years and years much of our produce has been "cheap" due to it either being grown in countries without labor laws, or being grown here and harvested by migrants and/or illegals who work for low wages.

You may as well get used to it because China is not going to go backward. They are aggressively moving ahead into the modern world and the Chinese people are smart, proud, and hard working.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Considering that Toyota, GM, VW, and others are producing vehicles and parts in China you might soon have to buy the stuff or walk...

Reply to
Edward Strauss

You mean buy it and walk or just walk.

Reply to
Brent P

Your choice.

Reply to
Edward Strauss

GM is already importing an engine from China...

Reply to
<HLS

Which means eventually the Chinese are going to price themselves out of the low-cost labour market, the way the Japanese did in the seventies and eighties. The economy improves and their cost of living goes up.

Then we'll have to turn to Haiti and Sudan for low-cost manufacturing.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Things are just starting to balance out. Eventually the standard of living will improve in China and Mexico and it will end up being cheaper to produce locally again.

Reply to
Noozer

Since very few if any of us have driven one of the cars made in china I think it would be all but impossible for any of us to say whether they are good, bad or indifferent. But I suspect that you may have a separate agenda that has little to do with automotive safety...right?

If that is the case then why were you asking about the quality and safety of cars made in china.

Separately, since cars from most countries will in the near future likely contain more components manufactured in china how will just stop buying cars entirely?

They are not an enemy but a competitor and a source for good quality inexpensive products of all kinds. Look inside the computer you are using to enter this message or inside almost any electronic consumer product or inside your car and you will find Made In China on many parts.

Actually, if we began trading with our "enemies" more and tying deals to certain milestones we might find that we both ultimately benefit. Cuba being a prime example of how defining a country as an enemy and holding them apart economically does not work.

Reply to
John S.

I don't know if that's going to be the case. They still have the largest population in the world, which is still primarily rural. A good deal of their cheap labor force comes from poor rural folks coming to cities to make more than they could on farms, then returning to rural areas after they've gotten their relative "fortunes". Then the cycle continues.

The productivity of Chinese workers varies depending on industry. A worker in a shoe factory is expected to keep up gluing soles for hours. A machine operator in a car part plant may not be held to the same standard. I've heard that in some industries, you'll see the large majority of employees standing around drinking tea and talking to their coworkers. A lot of employers are distrustful of their employees knowing too much (taking their knowledge elsewhere) and will only train each employee on one or two machines when an American worker might be trained to operate every piece of equipment in the factory. The cost of labor is so much cheaper (partly an exchange rate phenomenon) that hiring seven Chinese workers is still far less than one typical American worker.

I've been to China several times over the years. Back in the mid-80's when capitalism was starting, I got the sense that many weren't all that proud about doing a good job. You could walk into a restaurant and the employees had no worries about being rude to the customer because they weren't going to get fired. It's a lot better now, but some old habits die hard.

China will likely still have their rural poor that can supply a cheap workforce, while others with more skills/education form a strong middle class. It's probably not going to be like Japan, which has a smaller population and less land mass.

Stability would seem to be a problem, n'est pas?

Reply to
y_p_w

I havent been there, one of the few countries I have not visited or worked in. Some friends recently told me that communism, and the authoritarian government, is all but dead. Capitalism is the way of life now.

Prices, I think, will go up, and quality will have to follow.

Reply to
<HLS

Guess you didn't ask a political prisoner who had his organs harvested.

Reply to
Brent P

Dont post bullshit. If you know of someone who has had organs stolen, then post it. If not, then hold you peace.

Any dumbshit can post rumor. I doubt that you have any first case intelligence. If you do, then document it.

Reply to
<HLS

It's okay. They were harvested by capitalist allies.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

It's mainstream news. Even the US government's own state department says it is going on. China's government was forced to admit it that it goes on. Why don't you keep informed?

-> Following years of denial, China has acknowledged that foreigners who

-> can pay more than native Chinese have been given preference for organ

-> transplants and that "donors" for the operation have often been executed

-> prisoners.

Unfortunately, despite our efforts, as well as those of human rights -> activists like Harry Wu, human rights organizations, and concerned -> medical professionals, the practice of harvesting organs from executed -> prisoners continues in China. The lack of transparency in the Chinese -> criminal justice system, the secrecy that surrounds prison executions, -> and the removal of organs make actual documentation of the practice -> impossible. However, the anecdotal and circumstantial evidence regarding -> the practice of removing organs from executed prisoners for sale to -> foreigners and wealthy Chinese is substantial, credible, and growing. It -> cannot be ignored. Credible sources include public statements by patients -> who have had transplants in China, doctors who have provided -> post-transplant care to these patients in the United States and -> elsewhere, and testimony by Chinese doctors and former officials who -> claim to have witnessed or taken part in such practices or to have seen -> incriminating evidence.

-> Top British transplant surgeons have accused China of harvesting the

-> organs of thousands of executed prisoners every year to sell for

-> transplants.

-> In a statement, the British Transplantation Society condemned the

-> practice as unacceptable and a breach of human rights.

-> The move comes less than a week after Chinese officials publicly denied

-> the practice took place. "

-> Organ Harvesting from Chinese Prisoners Confirmed

-> by Hilary White

-> BEIJING, April 27, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) . The Epoch Times

-> International, a New York based online journal specializing in China and

-> related issues, has confirmed through independent investigation that the

-> Chinese communist government has been using prisoners as a source of

-> organs for the international and domestic transplant market."

Of course you'll sit back and say it's a bunch of lies I'm sure. BBC, US State department, doctors, Vice Health Minister Huang Jiefu in the China Daily, etc and so forth won't be enough in typical usenet fashion.

Reply to
Brent P

Back in the 1930's and 1940's,Chevrolet and Harley Davidson had factorys in China.I have an old car magazine around here somewhere which dates back to the 1970's and the magazine has an article about that.Harley Davidson has a new factory near Shanghai.A website I saw a couple of years ago,

I have been to China too,on my way to Vietnam in 1964 and I did my five days R&R in Hong Kong,1964.
(I hope I am not too off topic about posting those last three websites) cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin