Chinese prefer US made goods

go figure.

bob

Reply to
bob urz

Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!

Reply to
sp

I'm not surprised at all. something like China is to the US as the US is to, say, Germany?

What we need to do is be more like German industry and concentrate on quality and durability rather than price, because we can't compete on price.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

weren't all products like this years ago?

Reply to
m6onz5a

"No matter how cheaply you can make a thing, someone else can do a worse job for less money." -- my grandfather

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

No.

Part of the thing is that most of the US manufacturing infrastructure for many years had been put into place for the buildup to WWII. So you had at least two generations of workers, manufacturers, engineers, and designers who had been brought up on military standards. The general expectation of quality was fairly good.

Mind you there was still a lot of crap being made, but people acknowledged it was crap. These days the people making it and the people buying it don't really know the difference.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

two ladies at the retirement home conversing

  1. the food is so bad around here
2nd. yesss, and the portions are sooo small....
Reply to
AD

until it breaks that is

I had a Dowell lamp active pc speakers that never quite worked for half a decade (since 2008) and that is sufficient for me to never ever buy anything engineered by a chinese company

do be glad you have 30 day return policies in place in the usa

Reply to
AD

they do after crap breaks. problem is, with the current wonders of chinese engineering it usually happens outside the 30 day return policy (ask me how I know)

thusly i should applaud the american politicians on keeping chinese auto junk out of the north american market

at least the pigs are worth some of the taxpayers money they f*ck on

Reply to
AD

I'm betting you haven't looked at many new vehicles. Quite a few use Chinese made engines or transmissions. Lot's of made in China body panels as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

indeed. not just what you say but glass, wire harnesses [pretty much all the electrical like computers, electric motors, starters, alternators, plugs, sockets, etc. in fact], tires and suspension bushings, brake disks, pads, cylinders, boosters, calipers, hose, etc., seats, carpet and interiors, nuts and bolts, shocks, springs, struts, axles, shafts, basically the whole nine yards.

now, apart from the fact that in the case of g.m., taxpayers are getting it up the ass because this is all being done at taxpayer expense [massive debt forgiveness, free ride on jobs exporting, modified accounting rules, direct cash infusions, pension liability transfers], we're also getting it up the ass because g.m, are getting this stuff at "made in china" prices, but selling it on to us as "made in usa" prices while they offshore finances to keep sucking on the american taxpayer teat. it's a total scam.

Reply to
jim beam

Well, it's hopefully ENGINEERED outside of china (or the specs are provided by somone who hopefully know what they are doing and the warranty claims are someone else's problem).

I would not want to ride in a cardboard of a chinese car

Reply to
AD

[snip].

No. All the parts are developed by someone else. Chinese are merely making them. To someone else's (higher, hopefully) standards.

Quality controls are not put in there by chinese mind you, otherwise all their good would've been uniformly junk, but that is not universally true.

Reply to
AD

f.t.f.y.

next time you fly in a boeing that's ever had any servos, valves or actuators refurbished, chances are, that component was worked on in china. "china" isn't totally synonymous with junk. they have some good universities and some very smart engineers and researchers.

the problem is that stuff is being made in china and sold at below cost. the chinese do this to import jobs and technology. american corporations are delighted to go along with it because they can get rid of domestic labor [translation: "unions"], while continuing to charge "made in usa" prices, thus making bigger profits.

it's utterly retarded. the political agenda of china is very much in conflict with our own. but they're smart and know that nobody here has a political or financial horizon much beyond about 3 months. meanwhile, american corporations [and politicians] are still lining up to give away all their intellectual property, long term economic prosperity [and thus military security] away for the sake of a quick buck. two-plus centuries of hard work thrown away in less than a decade. our founding fathers are spinning in their graves and the chinese are laughing their organs off.

Reply to
jim beam

then stay away from general motors!

Reply to
jim beam

Hope you don't drive then. About the only ones who don't have Chinese content are hand made exotics.

Some parts are engineered at the main design plant. Many are simply of the shelf items sourced from whoever gives the best price.

Reply to
Steve W.

Well, upcasing engineered did not help. How about SPECed by chinese?

I was not talking about parts, i was talking about the whole car designed and built by chinese (wonderfully absent on american market)

weeeell, americans, europeans (and even the japs) have to make sure when the car get crashed by NTHSA or what have you it is not obvious that a few (lots) corners were cut when ordering steel for the passenger cage.

chinese automotive companies do not have to work against that limitation as it seems bric markets do not care much (or always). hence no geely for me, thank you very much (which is what my posts are about)

Reply to
AD

But really is that not a difference in philosophy? An old Lotus wouldn't pass a crash test either, but i'd rather have one than most new "safe" cars, British reputation for reliability notwithstanding.

i do understand your point, but am sort of playing devil's advocate here, in that "cutting corners" to reduce weight and/or cost is a conscious engineering decision, not necessarily a sign of inferiority. The same kind of thing happens with even high-end European vehicles, which is why you end up with $400 alloy control arms with non-replaceable ball joints - it's not that they're trying to piss you as an owner off, it's that they felt it was necessary to meet their weight goals for the vehicle, and having the ball joint as a separate bolt-on part would have both cost and weighed even more.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

that's what i implied. germans (aside from gm/opel) have a car culture merely because they have a head start. which is why my A4 is a whole lot more pleasant to drive than any subaru i had. germans merely understand what a driver wants better. and chinese are waaaaaaay behind even the koreans let alone the expensive guys(tm)

What I do NOT understand is why there are no high end parts makers that would engineer a durable STEEL replacement control arm ($400 assembled, less for parts)

Reply to
AD