extended warranty

I am about to buy a 2006 Prius and am undecided about whether or not to purchase an extended service plan. If anyone has any experience with
maintenance and repair costs, I would love to hear about it. Also, the dealership says I can only receive a 75% tax credit at this time. Is that true? From what I have read here, it doesn't sound right. Thanks.

You'll get at least as many opinions about the extended warranty as people providing them. I personally do not believe in them.
The dealership is wrong. If you take possession by the end of September, you will get 100% tax credit. If you take possession from October 1 through December 31, you will get 50% credit. The next three months would be 25% credit, and nothing after that, unless the law is changed.

Michelle Steiner wrote:

it's not 3 months for 25% credit. The phaseout increments is every 2 calendar quarters (6 months) starting with the initial phaseout starting Oct. 1, 2006 (beginning of 2006Q3).

My bad, I thought it was every quarter, not every two quarters. Thanks for the correction.

Thanks, everyone. I think I will hold off on the extended warranty. I'm so glad to have found this group!
chica wrote:

Anything can happen after 36k miles and I do a lot of driving. I have the peace of mind knowing that I purchased the 7y/100k extended warranty in case something goes wrong. Was told the HV battery and other electronic components are very expensive to replace.

In my 45 years of driving, I have never had anything go wrong that would have been covered by a 7y/100k extended warranty. The closest was when the engine on my Saturn destroyed itself at about 75K, but at seven years and three months.

chica wrote:

You have 3 years/36,000 miles to decide. You do not have to buy it from the dealer where you buy the car, nor from the dealer where it will be serviced. You have time to call around for better pricing (as dealers are free to charge whatever they want for the extended warranty).
More info: http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html (although I need to update it with some new dealers, and about the types of warranty available...)
chica wrote:

Your dealer is incorrect.
Prius purchased new between Jan. 1, 2006 and Sept. 30, 2006 in the US qualify for a $3150 US federal income tax credit. Oct. 1, 2006 the credit drops by 50%. (There are other drop dates as well...)
More info: http://www.toyota.com/prius/tax.html http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id 7557,00.html http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id 7632,00.html http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id 6048,00.html
An Extended warranty on the most technically advance car made is a good Idea. You do have up to the 36 months or 36000 to get it. Like everything it will less today than tomarrow. If you get an exented warranty get it from Toyota. 1100 dealers in US. Never a question about what or what is not covered. Toyotas warranty is competitive. Look around ask several dealers, you do not have to buy it from your selling dealer. Warranties can be discounted. Good luck!!
"chica" wrote: > I am about to buy a 2006 Prius and am undecided about whether > or not to > purchase an extended service plan. If anyone has any > experience with > maintenance and repair costs, I would love to hear about it. > Also, the > dealership says I can only receive a 75% tax credit at this > time. Is > that true? From what I have read here, it doesn't sound right. > Thanks.

Site Timeline