Pricing/Waiting for Prius Touring Hatchback

I'm going shopping this week. What can I expect as far as pricing for the Prius Touring (CA)? Any package reccomendations for a commute car? Are these usually on the lot or due to the price of gas, are they back ordered 8 weeks out?

I'd like to hear some experiences before I get into the domain of the salesperson. Thanks,

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

If you wait 18 months, you'll be able to buy vehicle that gets over 100 mpg..The technology is the prius is not proven. Might as well ride in a

100+ MPG vehicle that is also not proven..
Reply to
in2-dadark

I'm in upstate NY, & haven't seriously shopped for a Prius since '04, so... take my comments w/a grain of salt as far as what's happening right now. In '04, the wait times were 5 months & up, and I needed to travel 100 miles just to find one on a dealer's lot (which happened to be a rental, which is why it was on the lot) so that I could see one "in the flesh" & test drive it. Also, they were going for at least MSRP then, & often higher, since the demand was so high compared w/the availability. Since then, Toyota's ramped up the production.

For the last year or so, there have usually been 2 - 5 Priuses on my local dealership's lot on any given week, until just recently. Last week I noticed there was only one, & it had a "Sold" ticket on it. Re: pkg. choices & what would fit your needs/wants - did you go to the Toyota website & check out the Prius portion? Regarding present price - I'd read that there had been a small amount of bargaining wiggle room for a while, but considering the present cost of gas, my *guess* is that they're probably going for MSRP again.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

How long will it take to prove the technology in the Prius? Is 10+ years not long enough?

Reply to
Ray O

Oh BS, so please tell us how the prius is not proven, 18 months for

100 mpg, more bs.
Reply to
ransley

It amazes me what some folks will say.... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I have one: my bicycle. Considering that there are very few, if any, experimental cars that get 100 mpg, it is still a ways off for a consumer vehicle, except for vehicles with just two wheels, e.g., bicycle or motor cycle.

The exception is plug-in hybrids, but they will get still get less than

100 mpg, when you consider the energy used to make the electricity that powers them.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for your input, Cathy. I went to two lots today, one 'had' one yesterday and I can get on a waiting list which they will call everyone on the list when one comes in and whoever buys it first, gets it. The other dealer will get 4 used ones this week and think they might get 2 new ones in the next Month or two.

I've heard talk of another dealer stuffin $2k worth of upgrades into a new prius and then jacking the price up another $5k above that. Not what I'm lookin for, so still lookin.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

You're welcome.

AFAIK, the waiting list works like this: you are on it, being "x" person from the top of the list, depending on when you opted in. When the next car comes in, the first person - at the top of the list - is called. If they don't want that particular car (wrong color, wrong pkg. #, whatever...), the next person is called. And so on...

If it's true, I'd definitely skip that dealership!

Even the lower grade/# pkgs. have plenty incl. in them, IMO.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Expect to see only fully loaded (every option) cars and a long waiting list.

Better buy a Corolla before they run out of them, too. As you drive away in the Corolla consider how many gallons of fuel you can purchase for the price difference between the Corolla and Prius.

Thanks,

Reply to
ACAR

Not likely to happen. I just saw an ad in Pennsylvania for Corollas for

0% financing.

Go figure.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

AFAIK, the waiting list works like this: you are on it, being "x" person from the top of the list, depending on when you opted in. When the next car comes in, the first person - at the top of the list - is called. If they don't want that particular car (wrong color, wrong pkg. #, whatever...), the next person is called. And so on...

Gawd ..what a moron.. He told you how 'their' waiting list works and you still had the desire to find a way to make yourself look like an expert.

Why would a business dick around with a waiting list like that. I'd call 'em all too. And if they didn't run down there I'd sell it to the first 'anybody' with the doe...

Reply to
in2-dadark