Chrysler Lockup Torque Converter

I have an '88 Plymouth Voyager, 3.0L with a 3-spd transmission with electronic lock-up torque converter. The transmission has recently been rebuilt, and everything was working fine for the first 2 weeks. Now my converter will not lock up when I go on the highway, what should I be looking at to solve this problem? Any known culprits? I know my wiring to my connector is good, and it seems that my connector is good too.

Thanks

Jason C.

--

-------------------------------------------------------------- Jason M. Cluett Service Manager Yield Computing Solutions

15 Circular Rd, Pasadena, NL, A0L 1K0 [P] 709 686 5515 [F] 709 686 5517 snipped-for-privacy@yieldcomputing.com
"Making Computers Your Competitive Advantage in Western Newfoundland"
Reply to
Jason Cluett

Possible input shaft speed sensor failure. Not uncommon. Any codes available from the PCM via the MIL indicator?

Also recheck all electrical connectors to/from the trans.

Was ATF+3 used after the rebuild?

Jas> I have an '88 Plymouth Voyager, 3.0L with a 3-spd transmission with

Reply to
Mike Behnke

ATF wasn't used before or after, no MIL lights.. no codes displayed... but I use an additive to bring the fluid to ATF spec.

Thanks

Jas

Reply to
Jason Cluett

Awgeeze, here we go again.

It's not relevant to your situation since your '88 does not require ATF+ (ATF+2, ATF+3, ATF+4); Dexron is fine. Nevertheless, there is *no such thing* as an additive that brings any non-ATF+ fluid to any ATF+ spec. There's no shortage of additives claiming to do so, but they don't.

With that out of the way: The fluid you used has nothing to do with your torque converter clutch failing to lock. Time to diagnose the system. Check for codes. If you get a 37, there's a problem in the clutch lock/unlock solenoid or its circuit. If no 37, the problem's internal to the valve body or torque converter.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

...not possible with the OP's vehicle, which is a 1988 with the 3-speed auto, not an '89 or later with the electronic 4-speed. There is no input shaft speed sensor on the 3-speed auto, which is a hydromechanical Torqueflite.

This transmission does not require it, and the fluid spec would not cause his symptoms.

Reply to
Daniel J Stern