Mazda MPV stuck in park

FYI. Just documenting to help the next person ...

Symptom - The car started fine, but was stuck in park. The radio didn't work.

Temporary solution - There is a plastic plug on top of the steering column. Pop it off and insert a key in the slot. This releases the shifter. Move it to neutral, start the car, and shift to drive.

Real Solution - The "cigar" fuse was blown.

If there's a Mazda designer reading this news group (i.e. time to rant) ...

1 - IMHO, the most likely fuse to blow is the "cigarette lighter" fuse, since all kinds of accessories are plugged in. In this case it was a broken cell phone charger. If I were designing the car, I'd avoid putting any critical function on the same circuit.

2 - There is a fuse labeled "audio", but the radio evidently does not use that fuse. That threw me off for a while. If I were writing the owner's manual, I'd list ALL the functions on each fuse, not just one of them.

3 - There are slots on the fuse block for spares, and they are labeled in the owner's manual. But the slots are empty. For a penny a car, you could put in the spares.
Reply to
kgold

The shifter densenges when you hit the brakes. If you don't have brake lights it won't go into gear. So the system won't let you drive without brake lights. Where is the fault in that design? Why it ties in with the lighter/radio and not the headlight circuit is another question but it has been done that way forever. I have had old cars where if the radio/lighter quit working you can bet your ass you have no brake lights.

Reply to
TOLYN9