clinking sound, 1987 town car.

1987 Town Car. Makes a odd tinking sound when first backing up. I only hear it in first 10 feet when backing up. Sounded high pitch and tinny so i thought it was hub caps. I took off all hub caps and tightened lugs. The noise is still there. So far I have tried the following with no solution:
  1. Took off all hub caps. tightened lugs.
  2. At street or highway speeds no noise.
  3. Bounced all four corners to see if it was springs or shocks, no noise.
  4. Stopped and started on steep slope to test transmission for noise. No noise.
  5. Removed everything from trunk.
  6. Drove over railroad crossing and speed bumps but no sound.
  7. Brakes are smooth and quiet. The sound is so tinny it sounds like rocks in the hub caps but thats not it. Any ideas?
Reply to
J J

Have you checked the U-joints?

Reply to
Kruse

Would heavy parts like drive train, differential, bearing, or U joints make a heavier thud sound and at all speeds?

Reply to
J J

Sounds like bad u-joints. If you find one bad replace them all.

Reply to
Mike

My first thought would be U joints. The tinny sound is because of the tubular drive shaft.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

"J J" wrote

And left the hubcaps off for testing?

Kruse > Have you checked the U-joints?

When my U-joint went, it sounded like a pop can scraping the driveshaft. The tiny little needle bearings in the joint were being ground into powder.

Reply to
MasterBlaster