Newb Question (sorta) - The age old muffler question... plz help

Ok, im sure this has been asked a million times but i am just now getting ready to put mufflers on my mustang. I tried searching the newsgroup but could find any muffler questions so here it goes.

I have a 01 GT. I want to get Catback exhaust. 1st, let me explain that eventually, i will have headers, hi-flow cat h pipe, and catback along with modded computer stuff etc....all for horsepower.

BUT, as for right now, im not ready to do all that stuff just yet. But i am dying without any noise coming from my car. I want the Loudest/best sounding mustang muffler combo. I know there is an easy answer, and its probably the Flowmaster 2 chamber american thunders. But i thought id check tjust to make sure. I heard the 40 series isnt really that loud. I want it as loud as possible (not cherry bomb chevy bullshit of course) but the loudest mustang sound.

Anybody got a perfect combo to just throw on while i save for the other stuff??

thanks

idahoprime

Installing H-pipe & the mil's this weekend in my 2000 GT with flowmasters, I'll let ya know how it sounds. Kelly

Reply to
KellyJ

Try out this web site, they have sound clips of many different exhaust combinations, and a few pretty good forums about Mustang exhaust.

Black 03 GT

Reply to
Dennis

Now ya tell me.... LOL

Reply to
KellyJ

Reply to
Dennis Doiron

my .02 would be a flowmaster catback - =D

i have an 03 cobra, and that car for the last eight months has been quieter much quieter actually) than my 96 gt, and that was bone stock. i think your

01 gt has to have at least a little bit of a growl to it

but this weekend i added a fm catback - it is like night and day. all i want to do is drive the car now. i turn off the radio just to hear the exhaust sounds. it has increased the driving pleasure from this car 1000 %. not too loud at idle, howls when you get on it, has that great blurb on decell, and has a nice overall bass. drone? i like drone! it has the factory manifolds and h-pipe.

before i decided on this though, i listened to many brands of exhausts on mustangs. all except the flows were either too raspy, dull, etc. dunno why but i think that flowmaster for some reason sound the best on mustangs. and then when you add headers, lookout! that will be a REALLY a sweet revving sound - only drawback is fit and finish - it is not a stainless steel system

peace

Reply to
Christopher Shea

Reply to
smoke

I can't believe I'm saying this, but DO NOT BUY FLOWMASTER. You will love it at first, but grow to hate them in the end when the insides rust to shit leaving you with an annoying clanking sound at WOT stops!!! DON'T DO IT, dude!!!

Get Magnaflow Magnapacks and high flow catted h-pipe or x-pipe. I have offroad h-pipe and Flows in Northern CA, with little probability of an inspection. Your state may be harder on emissions.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

go hear to read reviews of all makes.

smoke
** I can't believe I'm saying this, but DO NOT BUY FLOWMASTER. You will love it ** at first, but grow to hate them in the end when the insides rust to shit ** leaving you with an annoying clanking sound at WOT stops!!! DON'T DO IT, ** dude!!!

I agree with Cindy. My custom Flowmaster setup sounded awesome at first. Six months later after a bit of rust and carbon built up, they sounded like SHIT. They became raspy, tinny and much louder than before; gone was that mellow, growly, meaty sound that I originally wanted. The noise became so obnoxious, I overpaid a shop to tear those damn things off, and BEGGED THEM to reinstall the OEM's. Those, along with the high-flow cats, gave me a much quieter tone, without all that obnoxious noise.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

sweet, I have the same catback on my 03 cobra as well. I like it too, has a nice sound to it. Just starting up the car sounds awesome. The famous part I think is decell... sounds great. Yes, it has the known drone around 2000 rpm. Not too bad, but it's there. Just the other day I drove it around for the first time with the window down... awesome noise.

just make sure you always warm it up fully. Never just start it for a minute or so since this introduces moisture form condensation. IT also depends on where you live for it to rust form the outside. I am in AZ and that's not a problem here.

Rein

Reply to
jimmy nguyen

yikes! ... only about six months, huh -

in my post above i was raving how much i love this system - i kinda knew that it will rust out eventually - but i figured i had a couple years before that happened

oh well, guess i'll just have to see what happens -

Reply to
Christopher Shea