CLR to clean flush radiator

I was reading the groups to find out some info on using CLR to flush/clean the cooling system in a vehicle. I found lots of posts asking if it was a good idea, but none with any links to hard data.

Here is a link to the Jelmar (makers of CLR and other products) where they answer two questions of using CLR for cleaning your cooling system; 1) is it acidic, 2) can I use it in my cooling system.

Yes, it is acidic.

No, they say you should NOT use it to clean your cooling system, and they also say to not use it in your iron because it could damage the internal parts of the iron (ergo, it would seem that it would do the same for your cooling system).

Here's the link:

Y'all have fun.

--HC

Reply to
hboothe

Yea, it eats aluminum and cast iron, both of which are in cooling systems. Your cooling system becomes a battery with your hard parts forming electrodes. I've never felt the desire to play chemist with my cooling system. Keep it clean from the start and none of this junk is needed. The flushes that I have seen were alkaline based I think.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

Approximately 10/11/03 15:08, WasteNotWantNot uttered for posterity:

If an alkaline based flush makes you feel good, get some aluminum foil and chop it up and dump it in some plain Drano [or just sodium hydroxide]. Do this outdoors in a well-ventilated area with no flames nearby, as this is how the US military generates hydrogen gas for weather balloons.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

HTH, Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Approximately 10/11/03 23:55, E Brown uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I'm guessin' from the sign off of "my governor can kick your governor's ass" that you must be from Minnesota or California. Personally, I'd take Jesse "The Body" Ventura over Ahnold any day. :)

--HC

Reply to
hboothe