CLUNK. No reverse. Help

1999 Explorer XLS 4x4 I'm not mechanically inclined, so all I know is that my wife put our Explorer in reverse, backed up 10 feet, there was a loud clunk, and no more reverse. All other gears are fine. In 4-wheel drive, same thing: forward but no reverse.There has been no other indication of problems (noises, smells, vibrations, etc.). Transmission fluid looks fine. Any questions, theories, or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to
Def73

For what it's worth......a girl that my wife knows put her explorer into reverse a few weeks ago and ended up with the same problem. She took it into the dealer and had it fixed........they said that it was some kind of problem with the shift cable. They replaced the cable and did other preventative internal repairs for a total of $385.

Reply to
My Name