CLUNK. No reverse. Help

1999 Explorer XLS 4x4 I'm not mechanically inclined, so all I know is that my wife put our Explorer in reverse, backed up 10 feet, there was a loud clunk, and no more reverse. All other gears are fine. In 4-wheel drive, same thing: forward but no reverse.There has been no other indication of problems (noises, smells, vibrations, etc.). Transmission fluid looks fine. Any questions, theories, or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to
Def73

Put the car in manual low gear (the "1" position on the quadrant) and get up to about 25 mph..... let off the gas. If you have no engine braking I would guess at a concern with the low/reverse band or hydraulic circuit. If you do have engine braking and for sure all forward gears appear to work normal, I'm snookered. Either way, the transmission is coming out.

Jim Warman