92 Maxima Timing Chain

The timining chain tensioner is making noise but appears to be functioning, and the car remains in time. I would normally disregaurd since it appears to be functioning and it is in time, however the noise seems excessive and the car is slow to turn over with a new battery. I want to make sure all timing component are OK before I assume something else, butI dont want to disassemble the top of the engine and find that every thing is good. IS the tensioner noise normal?

Reply to
leroy321

I would think noise from the tensioner is not normal even tho everythings functioning ok. Sounds like it could be the tensioner's bearing going bye-bye. I assume this is an SE w/ the VTC engine. I don't know much about them, but a reasonable assessment would be to verify where the noise is coming from and then get it fixed before something really big goes wrong.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

I just had a similar problem. Thought it was the VTC's, but had to replace both tensioners, and 2 lifters. Now she is quiet as can be.

Reply to
butch

Dont put off the timing chain. If its rattling get it fixed. I dont think it will break, but if it slips or jumps say goodbye to your engine.

functioning,

Reply to
Warner Crump

functioning,

Believe they will have to pull the engine to replace the chains. The DOHC system in that engine has two sets of duplex chains running to the cam banks from a centrally located idler sprocket. A single row runs from the crank to the idler. I am told that the single row is one that stretches and has to be replaced. Good Luck!

Reply to
twaugh5