timing belt/chain replacement

Question to the group:.........Is changing the timing belt/chain? something that can be done fairly easily on my '88 toy p/u 22R? ........I did one on a Pontiac about 10 years ago; and remember having trouble with the oil pan and timing cover lining up and going back on. The truck has

134,000 and I know nothing has ever been done under the hood. Thought I would put plugs and wires and cap and such when I do (if it's reasonable) the timing chain. Any help and suggestions will be appricated.

Va. Bill

Reply to
Billy

Its a timing chain -- is it making rattling noisy at start up? If not don't touch it -- it has another 40k before ya need to worry. Its a real pain to change -- a 2-3 day job. Head or oil pan have to come off.

Reply to
Wolfgang

See:

Roger Brown

Just sold my '88 with 205k miles ... original chain. Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
JeB

Will the timing chain start making noise when it is getting close to requiring a replacement? Is that noise only during startup? Or is it all of the time?

After the chain starts making a noise (I assume a rattling noise), how quickly do I need to get the chain replaced?

What are the going prices for timing chain replacements?

Reply to
Nick Funk

I saw a full timing chain set brand new for about 60 dollars, but the toughest on your wallet will be the mechanics cost. I heard they are HARD to install.

Reply to
Shinnokxz

Easy to install. I am not a mechanic, and did it in 10 hours which is book time. I could have done it in 9, but had trouble finding one bolt, and not the top one hidden in the oil puddle of the head. You do not need to remove the head. My motor has 449k on it, the first TC was replace at 160K by a mechanic who did not remove the head. I replace that timing chain at 435k which was on memorial day this year.

john

Reply to
john babiarz

Wow, 289,000 miles on a timing chain. Was this mostly high mileage or stop-n-go driving in traffic? When you changed the timing chain at 435K, how was the guides (steel or plastic) and did you see any evidence of chain rubbing (slapping) on the housing? I have had several people tell me not to worry about changing the timing chain until I hear the chain making noise during starting. Not sure how valid this statement is, did you hear any noise?

John, if you did not have to remove the head, did you have to remove the oil pan? Did that 10 hour time include removing the A/C compressor and braket?

My 84 4x4 Toyota pickup is going on with 235,000 miles and I had the timing chain changed at 120,000 miles

Any information is greatly appreciated! Nick (shade tree mechanic)

john babiarz wrote:

Reply to
Nick Funk

Mostly highway mileage and country roads. There was almost no wear. I replaced it because I was at a toyota dealer who said that the timing chain sounded like it needed replacement. I saw where the chain cut into the plastic guides, but I had plenty of room.

I decided that I could do it, since I did replace my front oil seal at 390K because I did not like the one or two drops in the driveway. The main thing is to just remove the radiator it gives you plenty of room. The oil pan does not have to be removed, just remove the front nuts to the oil pan/ timing chain cover, and losen the next set back. There is an on-line description on how to do it. I am not even a shade tree machanic.

by the way, you don't even need an impact wrench for this, just a torque wrench when you button things up.

Here is what the new chain did for me. The performance picked right up. Better acceleration than before replacement. I got the racing set of timing chain, (prestreched) which cost the same as toyota for there stuff.

john

Reply to
john babiarz

My timing chain is still original with 207k miles, also I am on the original clutch!!

Thanks to highways :)

Dave

Reply to
D GsKi