Couple fo simple questions...

My mom drives a 2000 Chrysler Concord, and i took it in today to get an oil change.... i watched in amazement as the quick lube tech poured massive quantities of coolant into the tank... only potential leak he could find was around the Water Outlet located at top front of engine compartment near fan, think its sold in a package set usually with the thermostat as well. Quicklube wanted over 200bux to replace, and I can't see it being that big of deal to replace, looks fairly straightforward and doityourselfable... Any comments and advice on that replacement? Second... got a blown fuse in same car after a cell phone charger came apart in the power port, i know its fuse number 6 and its a 15 amp fuse. Looking in the compartment i saw that slot

6 was split into an A side and a B side, I'm assuming here that in the A side the port only has power when car is running, would the B side then utilize it as always on? And its a really tight squeeze in there, is there a simple foolproof way of getting a fuse out without damagint the housing considering there is very little empty space around teh fuse to get a grip with?
Reply to
nooneimportant

Sounds like a rip to me. Odds are it is a gasket or hose that is leaking, not something that would cost $200 to replace. Second opinion, from a real garage.

Needle nose pliers. Or, they make special little fuse pullers. Typically available at parts stores on the same rack as the fuses. Some cars come with one stuck inside the fuse box, look and see if you have one.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

That was my first thought, but it was dry, he added larger portion of fluid to it and it was not overfull when i checked it later, i crawled under as best i can to look for a leak on the radiator (hard to do on a car slung this low, had to get creative overa hump in the driveway), no visible leaks i could find, hoses were in good condition with no cracks, but that hot water valve did have dried coolant caked all over it, has for a while but had always been a very slow leak with no real problems, add a couple fo fingers worth of coolant now and then when it gets an oil change, this is the first oil change that didn't need "just a little". I have heard from others that this part is prone to failure, but i do think the garage that takes care of our heavy repair can do a much better repair for cheaper, so thats who;s gonna do it, i jsut took the estimate to be a nice guy from the quicklube, no intention of letting them do it.

Reply to
nooneimportant

There's usually one inside the fuse cover panel on Chrysler products. Looks sorta like white plastic tweezers.

Reply to
Steve

In general these things are not hard to replace. Well within the abilities of most people with a few tools and some mechanical aptitude.

Water leaks are not normally too hard to find. You want to look at the radiator, the hoses, the water pump, and the thermostat housing first. If it is leaking, you will normally see some stain, rustiness, etc.

Even check the overflow cannister to be sure this thing is not cracked, worn through, etc.

If you don't find a leak by this time, crawl under the car and look along the sides of the engine for the 'freeze' plugs. These are disks pressed into the side of the block, about the size of a 50 cent coin or a silver dollar. Sometimes these corrode and begin to leak, slowly at first. They are not usually too hard to replace either, especially if you have someone who can set you on the right path.

If, despite all you do, you cannot find an external leak, there is the finite chance that you may have a blown or leaking head gasket or a cracked head or block. This can be big time trouble.

Take a look, and then tell us what you find.

Reply to
Larry Smith

That's great general informaton Larry. He already did that and told us where dried coolant is caked and where it's leaking.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot