2001 Outback: exhaust from the vents

I've got a 2001 Outback wagon, manual. Here's my problem:

When I'm stopped and don't have 'air recycle' on, the air the comes out of the vents smells like exhaust. It's really hard to breathe, and could be dangerous? When I put recycle on, it goes away. When I put AC on, the problem is mitigated a bit, but it's still detectable. Keep in mind this only happens while I'm stopped. Once I get going (>5mph), it goes away.

It seems to me like the vent system is picking up stray exhaust, and when I get moving there's enough airflow to blow the stray exhaust away. When I put it on recycle, it doesn't take air from the outside, and on AC it's filtering it more(?). There are no obvious leaks in the engine compartment, and it looks like the air intake is right in front of the engine, near the opening for the hood. That may be the intake for the engine though, there are other intakes near the windshield.

Any ideas as to how to solve this?

PS: I've had it into the dealer multiple times (while it was still under warranty) and they claim to not be able to smell it! I've also had the engine steam cleaned thinking that there was oil somewhere, but it didn't work.

Thanks,

Reply to
halvey

My '01 legacy was leaking grease from the right side inner axle joint breather hole which sprayed on the hot catalytic converter, making a burning oil/rubber smell that came in through the vents whenever I was stopped at a red light. The dealership fixed it under warranty.

If there is exhaust leaking near the engine, someone should be able to hear it as well as smell it.