'99 Grand Caravan Parking Brake Adjustment

Can this be done at home, or do I need to take it into the shop? I am fairly capable with a wrench, and what I've been able to find through google looks like it is a fairly straight-forward procedure. Is there any gotchas I need to be concerned with?

Mark D

Reply to
Mark D.

My factory manual indicates that the parking brakes have automatic adjusters on them. You may need new brake shoes, or new parking brake shoes (rear disc brakes) if the adjuster has taken up all the adjustment possible.

Reply to
Steve

Do you have rear disc or drum brakes? If they are drum brakes it is a simple adjustment with the star wheel there is an access hole in the backing plate near the top. Support the rear axle so the wheel is off the ground. Then turn the adjuster while rotating the wheel feeling for a slight drag. Once the rear brakes are adjusted move to the middle of the van where the parking brake cables are exposed and pull on the front cable (lever side) to reset the auto adjuster. If you continue to have a weak parking brake pedal you will need to replace the adjuster.

Bryan

Reply to
John Smith

It is drums. I needed new shoes and the cylinders were leaking. Then with it all back together, I would apply it once then release it. Upon reapplying it the next time I parked, it would not hold at all. I took it back and they took everything off and put it all back on from scratch and replaced the pedal assembly, (ratchet). I haven't had a problem since. They said they've never seen that particular problem before......

Mark D

Reply to
Mark D.