DexCool

Because redlining an 88 HP engine just doesn't impress anybody. :(

Yikes! That's sad for an engine that had already been in production for over ten years when I bought my car. :(

I plan on buying a Civic, Mazda3, or Toyota Matrix in a year or two.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Or one could go the typical Japanese manufacturer's route. They seem to prefer silicate-free but with good amounts of phosphate. Phosphates are supposed to be real problematic with hard water though.

Reply to
y_p_w

One of the old ways to analyse for phosphate was to precipitate it as magnesium pyrophosphate and weigh the dried residue.

For such a method to be useful, the salt formed needs to be practically insoluble. That will give you an idea of why phosphates can be problematic.

The big problem, as I see it, is protection of aluminum and its alloys.

Silicate is one of the few anions that will give aluminum protection (and it isnt perfect either). It is too bad that its solubility quirks cause so many problems.

Reply to
<HLS