Diesel ...NO Manifolds?

I was reading about that in Diesel Power a few months back. It is one of the (many) space saving designs they used.

Still not quite sure why they made it a 4.5L V8 instead of a 4.5L I4, V6 or I6. That would have saved more money and design issues.

Someday, maybe I'll pop one of those in my Avalanche if the 5.3L gasser gives up the ghost.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Seems like semantics to me. Call something by another name! Even the picture shows what sure appear to be manifolds. From the writeup, indeed it sounds like the exhaust manifold design is simpler, and depending on how you partition parts and functions, the exhaust manifold may be part of another part or assembly. But to say the engine has no manifolds seems like a lot of hyperbole to me.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Interesting, but I would hope this design, if ever produced, is thoroughly application tested before being put into service. Better than even chances that some ugly faults may raise their snaky heads on something like this...not, however, new to GM engines.

Reply to
HLS

I'm sure they were planning on skipping that part. Thank goodness you came along to call them on it. Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Dont like my astute analysis of the situation, Steve> ;>)

Reply to
HLS

It has both intake and exhaust manifolds- the intake manifold is part of the valve cover, the exhaust manifold sits in the valley and connects directly to the turbo.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Speaking of diesel engines, I own a good Mercedes Benz four cylinder diesel engine I bought from J.C.Whitney Company back in the 1970s.The engine dates back to the 1960s, I have my paperwork here from J.C.Whitney concerning the engine.I was going to install the engine in a small 1967 International walk in delivery van I used to own and make a camper out of the van, but I never did get around to it.I bought a new starter motor and a new bell housing and new clutch parts and a good second hand transmission for the engine.I want to sell the engine and the new parts and the transmission I bought for the engine, if anybody is interested?

I also own a 1926 Ford Model T chassis and a spare Ford Model T engine and two mid to late 1920s Chevrolet car frames, for sale.The guy I bought the Ford Model T chassis from back in the 1970s, he told me he rebuilt the engine.One of the Chevrolet frames has the front and rear suspension and front and rear axels and the wire wheels and the steering gear and steering column with the steering wheel.I also want to sell those parts too. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

This thread reminds me of the car ads when Olds sold their diesel. The ads claimed the engine was simpler, since there was no carburetor. Never mind that the fuel injection system was much more complex than carburetors of that era.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

We Americans have come to expect and savour small lies.

Reply to
HLS

I've been wondering how long it would take before a manufacturer built an automotive diesel v8 this way. Its been the norm in locomotive engines for decades- both the EMD 2-strokes and the GE FDL 4-stroke locomotive diesels have the exhaust in the "valley". On the GE, the intakes are "logs" along the outside where car v-type engines would have exhaust manifolds, and on the EMD 2-strokes the intake is through the cylinder case. Caterpillar marine diesels are laid out the same way- exhaust and turbos in the "V", intake trunks along the outside of the "V".

Reply to
Steve