Oil and filter change

I need to change the oil on my car. I was wondering if its worth doing it myself or to go to a service centre for them to do it for 30 quid?

I was thinking by the time I have bought the oil and the filter, plus dispose of the old oil, I may as well get someone to do it.

Reply to
Hiram

You've asked a question that only you can answer!

If you have no interest in DIYing your car, no experience, and no tools then it would be daft to persuade yourself to do it.

OTOH, if you have some basic tools, and a bit of interest, why not DIY it? In the time you have driven to a service centre, waited your turn, and fended off all the attempts to convince you of all the other work "needed", you could have the job finished.

I keep my old engine oil, and use it mixed 50/50 with creosote substitute for treating the fence and shed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yeah fair point.

I can do the work, and I have the tools - my only problem is getting under the car without a ramp.

I will pop out to my garage and have another look and see if I can reach the drain plug.

Reply to
Hiram

Quick change places usually buy oil in bulk - for a lot less than you can buy the same stuff in Halfords.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't need ramps. Jack a wheel up and place it on a block of wood if you can't reach under. I can usually reach under without. A plastic 5 litre can cut in half makes a good drain tray.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Thus spake robgraham ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Or an old washing-up bowl.

I wouldn't trust jacks and blocks of wood, but then I can reach under my car anyway to get at the sump plug (just).

Reply to
A.Clews

I can do an oil and filter change on my 1999 Renault Megane in 20 minutes and only soil a pair of vinyl gloves, but the 2000 Ford Focus with the filter at the back of the engine requires ramps and crawling underneath, etc, etc... and probably takes about an hour. But it's still better than taking it to a service center!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

No, I wouldn't trust a jack either, but a decent sized block of wood is OK. I don't mean a piece of 4x2 on end. Better still axle stands.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I had a look at the job this afternoon. I can get to the sump plug with a socket, I didn't feel too confident of the grip I would get at that angle. I felt my socket may slip off the nut without me being able to steady it better.

The oil filer is at the bottom front of the car between the wheels (Peugeot 106 diesel). I think I'd need some way of griping the filer better than I can at that angle laid on the floor.

Reply to
Hiram

A pukka oil collecting thingie makes it easier to transfer the waste oil into a container, though - less chance of spilling it. Wouldn't be without mine.

Think you drive the car onto wooden blocks. Unless that wood is totally rotten it's a very safe way to increase the clearance slightly. A jack should only be used to raise the car - it should be supported on axle stands. Perfectly respectable ones are cheap enough from the likes of Lidl - when on offer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do mine myself. I know it's done then and that good quality oil and filters have been used. Costs under £20 including air filter. Just pour the old oil down the drain when no one's looking.

Reply to
Alan

No, jack the car up and put a good wooden block under the wheel or chassis. And I'm not talking rotten bits of wood!

Reply to
robgraham

I find that a 5 litre plastic can cut in half has the neck still intact with the can and the oil can be poured out easily through this.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Alan you are a very bad boy for suggesting I do that... :)

Reply to
Hiram

Given it's free to give it to the local tip/recycling centre it's rather pointlessly anti-social.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

How is it 'free'? It costs fuel to get there. Anyway it might spill in the car boot. Down the drain every time for me.

Reply to
Alan

BLimey, how difficult is it to put the container in a dustbin bag & just drop it in when passing?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You might find this easier than the more usual chain grip / claw grip tools for the filter:

You might be able to use a proper drain plug tool with a male end to fit into a female plug. They're not always fitted so you'll need to check.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

For god sake use axle stands. They don't cost much and will last you a lifetime and possibly save your life. Get a trolley jack and stands and you will be sorted for life.

Never get under a vehicle with just the jack supporting it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I just hope you are caught and prosecuted the next time you attempt it then. If however you are a troll, which seems likely, then I shouldnt be following up. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee