Do Seatbelts Wear Out with Age?

I have a 86 Toyota Corolla SR5. I am curious if the seatbelts should be tested by a pro to ensure that they're still functional - so I don't have to find out the hard way if they still work?

I am wondering if, over time, seatbelts decline, mechanisms get sticky, or something of that nature.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I dont guess it is something I worry about a lot. Maybe I should. Examine the fabric of the belt for cuts and physical wear. Make sure the buckles latch positively.

The old belt systems did not often have automatic adjusters so there was not much more to check, so long as the anchor points for the belts were not rusting out.

With adjusters, you can jerk on the belt to see if the adjusting side will catch under conditions similar to a crash. If they catch, then I would feel okay about using the car.

If you want to take it to a mechanic, he will likely do a similar checkout and will be glad to help you. He has to pay for Christmas too.

Reply to
hls

They should be. You can be that pro. Grab the belt firmly, and pull it down. Does it lock into place?

Try it on a new car and see about how much speed and force it's supposed to take to make it lock.

Stuff goes wrong. Pull on the belt every now and then to make sure it hasn't.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Reply to