Dumb question about H2O pump

I replaced the tube that goes just under the water pump on a 2001 caravan. It is metal and then connects via flex rubber to the rad. I think it maybe called a collector tube - not sure. In any event it had to be replaced since it was totally corroded out, but the van is still leaking - like a sieve!

It seems to be coming just on top of where that pipe fits in. I do not think where it fits in is the water pump per se, since a replacement pump does not have that flange, maybe some part of the engine casing that the water pump fits into(?). I do not have a service manual and have not ben able to find a picture of it all anywhere yet, so please bear with me...

Is it possible that a water pump will leak fairly heavily, not just drip...drip...drip? It is the original water pump with about 94K Kms on it.

I am just trying to make sure I have everything in hand as much as possible to actually fix the issue once I am in there since I have to pull the sepentine belt and I think pry the engine a bit to get at it...

thanks

Reply to
BSAKing

I dont have any experience with a Caravan. I have a Dodge full sized van, but that is a different thing.

A water pump traditionally CAN leak like a sieve. Under pressure, if the packing around the shaft fails, water can literally spray out.

I have also seen them so corroded on the inside that "leakage" would be an understatement.

If you can get a mechanics "mirror on a stick", and a good light, maybe you can spot where the coolant is actually coming from.

Now, did the tube which you replaced fail from internal or external corrosion?? If internal, consider what may have happened to the inside of the water pump, and also to the Welch plugs (freeze plugs) which are pressed into the core wash openings on the sides of engines.

Reply to
HLS

Yes, water pumps fail by wearing the shaft seal, and begin to leak. If you live in a cold weather climate, this happens sooner than in warmer climes. It is a quite common problem here in Minnesota.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I checked it out by grovelling around underneath the vehicle today. The replacement pump they sell is an impeller and seal unit that bolts between the pully and housing which is, in turn, bolted to the engine. That housing is what the pipe bolts into. There is not much room, so it appears you need to pry the engine a bit to give a tad more access to replace it.

But the good news is (at least for this issue) that the pump was not leaking. Bozo here, who is very far from a master mechanic, did not know of the trick to use grease on the parts to ensure that the big O- ring does not roll and bind or slip off the pipe unit.

I yanked it apart and found the O-ring had been mashed out of place and not sealing properly. I looked everywhere, since the dealers parts counters were closed and could not find a replacement, so I reformed the mashed one and greased it all up properly and wiggled and pushed it until all of a sudden it just sort of went POP and seated. I bolted it up and - no leaks!

I am sure everyone except yours truly knew about the grease (not just any kind since some will attack the rubber) but that is what fixed my issue.

Thanks for taking the time to reply - appreciated.

Funny - the first time takes twice as long as the second time.... anyone notice!? lol.

Reply to
BSAKing

I haven't seen one of these before, but I would have used a silicon grease.

Pete

Reply to
ratatouillerat

Thanks for taking the time to reply - appreciated.

Funny - the first time takes twice as long as the second time.... anyone notice!? lol.

Glad it is fixed... You dont have to use grease if you can get the O-ring seal to slip in without rolling, but it can make things a lot easier.

I used to use Vaseline on seals like that (going back to automatic transmission repair days, where Vaseline was one of the most available and least destructive greases to use on elastomeric seals.)

Recently I got some air conditioning system lubricant/sealant which is a polymer. It is a little expensive but a drop goes a long long way. It does a really good job on things like this, as well as air conditioning O-rings for which it was developed and marketed.

Reply to
HLS