efficiency of regenerative braking?

We weren't talking about networks, we were talking about motors and controllers. There are controllers that can convert the DC from batteries info AC and vary the frequency to control the motor's RPM. For industrial use on grid power the controller converts the 60 Hz input to whatever frequency it needs.

Bruce

Reply to
bsr3997

You do have a reading problem don't you? The car would be fine to use other places. It just wouldn't have the added expense of the system you are advocating which would optimize it for conditions that don't apply everywhere.

Reply to
bsr3997

Shut the f*ck up, imbecile.

Sorcerer

Shut the f*ck up, idiot.

Reply to
Sorcerer

With a large enough battery pack the charge and discharge rates become relativly small.

Reply to
bsr3997

============================= A number with 33 zeros?

Reply to
BobG

So ?

I know that it's irrelevant to this argument.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It wouldn't sell except in small numbers so don't expect it to happen.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Energy density has very little to do with it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

However the move is to smaller and lighter battery packs for economy.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It's irrelevant that the energy required to haul around a massive capacitor is more than any savings from the regenerative system?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

It doesn't matter if the capacitor must weigh over 400 lbs to store enough energy to get a small car up to 30 mph?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

What energy is invoved in hauling that weight around ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Steady state, a little. Accelerating, quite a bit. Due to the fact that you can never get back quite what you put in due to frictional losses, lighter is always better, even in a regenerative-braking scenario. Not even considering the effects on handling etc.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Very little. That's why they do it because it improves the other too in return.

Having the super-cap improves regenerative efficiency and prolongs battery life. It can also improve acceleration. Using one is a no-brainer until battery technology improves more wrt high rates of charge and discharge and their effect on battery life.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The other inefficiencies in the system are so great that the cap people have a really big hurdle to jump, assuming releasing energy in a short [hundreds of magawatts] isn't a safety issue.

Obviously not enough to justify using caps.

Could you find a device with performance characteristics somewhere between caps and batteries?

I guarantee you'll become a billionaire, Nobel Laureate, get a nat'l forest renamed after you . . .

Bret Cahill

.
Reply to
Bret Cahill

Why don't you actually read what I wrote ?

It's painfully obvious why ultra-caps are used and why they're a good idea overall.

By all means stick with your uninformed, uneductated notions. It certainly won't affect me. No one who *is* informed will listen to you anyway. Stupidity and ignorance have no useful value.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

====================================== The Maxwell site says their modules handle 125V, put out 750A max, handle 1 million charge cycles, hold 101Wh, have Energy density of 3.8 Wh/kg, Power density of 7.9 KW/kg

Reply to
BobG

some also say this is decreased significantly with full charge and elevated temperatures...

hold 101Wh, have Energy density of 3.8

The energy density depends on the voltage levels - the buck boost converter is the limiting factor. So please mention the lower and upper voltage for this values.

I wonder if solid Li-Polymer will be the winner of the match or a hybrid solution including a small ultracap and a battery in one package.

Gfried

G.fried

Aha. Nice, so you can copy and paste numbers. Now, can you also judge whether these numbers are good enough or not.

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool, snipped-for-privacy@cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the same"

Reply to
mmeron