Energy saving traffic lights don't melt snow/ice, causing accidents

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That is the WORST kind of stuff to have on your car.

My car has frameless windows. When we get the ice-sheet stuff, I can't even open my doors until I thump my fist all around the window perimeter so as to crack the ice sufficient to get the door open. And when it does open, there's this ominous crrreeeaaakkk noise that makes you swear the weather stripping is going to tear right off.

And then there are my absolutely stupid semi-concealed wipers. Buried just deep enough to make ice removal devilishly difficult, but not deep enough to avoid ice buildup to begin with. Thanks Honda.

Apparently about 15, it seems. That would include the many variants that exist in Eskimo languages just as they do in English.

I never thought to look this up until now, but...

If you're going to have ice, the best is snow first, then ice on top of that.

Cocaine? I'm sure it's wonderfully fun and effective, but the DEA may not like that too much.

Reply to
Tegger

Got a can of silicone weatherstrip conditioner at O'Reillys a couple weeks ago when I picking up other parts, since the doors stick bad in the right conditions. Parts guy recommended it, but he may be wrong. Don't know how it will work. I was too lazy to apply it, and now I'll wait a few days, when it's supposed to get above freezing. Used WD-40 in the past, but it doesn't last long, and might be bad for the rubber anyway. Think I used a silicone grease stick once year too. But you need something that soaks into the weatherstrip and keeps the moisture out. Anybody have recommendations?

My Chevys are just as bad. I was cussing about it this morning. Got the wipers free, but ended up with more junk in that reset than when I started. Only practical way to clean there is to open the hood. Needless to say, that's a bridge too far.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It doesn't. Maybe it does if you really slather it on like butter on toast, but I never did that.

Reply to
Tegger

An old ''Trick'' is to use a hose connected to the tailpipe to melt off ice and snow.Lowe's and some other home building supply stores sell flexible plastic hoses of various diameters. Fortunately, we don't get much ice and snow here.Some years, we don't get any ice and or snow at all.

Suppose to get up to 60 degrees here tomorrow and about 65 degrees on Tuesday and a few degrees higher than that on Wednesday.I Will Take It! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

aemeijers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@26g2000yqo.googlegroups.com:

Buckyballs or buckminsterfullerene. No, it's *not* what you think, nor is it made of it.

Frictionless as space apparently.

Reply to
fred

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9CE7CCDDF9598tegger@208.90.168.18:

Just idle the car in the driveway until it starts to melt. Removing the surface snow speeds that up. Remote starters have a real use you know.

Reply to
fred

I have had my weatherstripping tear when frozen to the door frame, more than once and now use that spray silicone weatherstrip conditioner and it has worked very well.

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Maybe they could spray the traffic light lenses with airplane deicer stuff.

Some people like to warm up their cars while they go back in their homes for a second cup of coffee.When they go back outside, their cars are Gone! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

fred wrote in news:Xns9CE7E450DF3fred@127.0.0.1:

What if you can't get into the car in the first place? That was the problem I was faced with and why the silicone was suggested as a preventive.

And even if I did have a remote starter, it would take at least a half-hour of idling to melt that kind of ice.

Reply to
Tegger

A one or two gallon container of warm water poured around the car door edges should help with getting the door open. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9CE860DDBAA85tegger@208.90.168.18:

Well, perhaps less, but if you leave the heater on it will be and besides it brings the oil up to temperature before you drive. Always a good idea anyways.

Reply to
APLer

Those things can be dangerous. I wouldnt play around with them (although I doubt you can buy them easily and cheaply)

Reply to
hls