All Season Tires, Ice & Snow

My 2002 Mustang GT came with Eagle ZR45's (245/45ZR17). They have 30k+ on them now and due to be replaced. The ZR45's worked quite well except for ice. In Kansas we do occasionally get some icy roads come winter. I don't need the lecture on the Mustang not being a 4x4. I remember on past performance vehicle I had some GT+4's and they worked very well on icy roads. Does anyone know of some good affordable all season tires that would fit the Mustang?

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I just got a set of Falkan Ziex ZE 512's for the daily driver. They are ~ $60 each. It's a triple tread design. They are quiet, a good water pumper, and rated excellent on traction, longevity and temperature. The Ziex are a good inexpensive all season M + S radial tire that were rated #1 by Consumer Reports in late 2003. Check'em out:

Sears and Discount Tire carried them here.

Reply to
John

I've run a couple different brands. The last set of all seasons I got were dunlops. Initially they were quite good, towards the end of their life even rain was a problem... (and I don't run tires bald) but for the price they good. Seems each year the all seasons get cheaper and better. But as usual, the price is paid in dry handling.

The best is of course two sets summer and winter, but it doesn't pay IMO if you live somewhere like chicago where the roads are dry or simply wet almost all winter. All that does is wear out expensive snow tires fast.

Reply to
Brent P